Monday, January 18, 2021

3. Foxe's Book of Martyrs


Foxe's Book of Martyrs. John Foxe. 1563/2001. 416 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: The history of the church may almost be said to be a history of the trials and sufferings of its members, as experienced at the hands of wicked men.

I am thankful I read this one. I've owned it for years--if not a decade. It wasn't an easy read. Perhaps I tried to read it like it was any other book? Perhaps I gave up on trying to really absorb its contents halfway through? 

The book opens with the disciples and first generation believers. It closes in the nineteenth century. Obviously the martyrs of the later centuries have been added on or tacked onto this one. 

It has a wide scope--all continents perhaps with the exception of Antarctica. Some martyrs remain just a number--one among however many were murdered on any given day. Some have pages--if not whole chapters--written about them. It includes men and women of all ages and backgrounds. 

Regardless of how much or how little is said within this book, God knows ALL, and their lives mattered then and now.

Some chapters were more absorbing/fascinating than others. In other words, sometimes my attention drifted away, far, far away. And sometimes it didn't. Sometimes I stayed on task. I would like to reread this one at some point to see if it was a mood thing for me. If I'd find it all equally attention-worthy if I gave it another chance. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: