Thursday, March 10, 2022

4. NIV (NIV 84) Young Discoverer's Bible


NIV Young Discoverer's Bible. 1985. Zondervan. 1979 pages. [Source: Childhood copy]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 

There is something incredibly special about going back to your childhood Bible. I've had this Bible since fourth grade. It hasn't always been "my number one" meaning my daily go-to Bible. But two things keep me coming back again again. First, I love HOW large the font is. And because it's old school--1985--there is little to no bleed through or ghosting. So the combination of LARGE PRINT + NO GHOSTING + BLACK LETTER text means that the layout is just about as perfect as you can get. Second, I love the 84 edition of the New International Version translation. This is the version that I almost exclusively read for a little over a decade. And it was that first decade of faith as well. I was in college before I started accumulating other translations---like the NKJV and NASB. There is something HOME-y and JUST RIGHT about going back to revisit this translation as an adult. 

I do wish that the publishers hadn't sought to obliterate the 84 edition of this translation. They *could* have left it readily available online even if they didn't want to keep it physically in print. Online Bibles and e-Bibles could have been kept "alive" even after the 2011 was released. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: