Monday, August 29, 2022

13. NASB 1977

Giant Print Handy Size Reprint NASB 1977 Edition. 2011. AMG Publishers. 2304 pages.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

This is my second time to read through the NASB 77. I still absolutely love, love, love, love, crazy love this translation. I could easily see this being 'the one' if I believed in such. I don't believe that there is 'the one' as in 'the one and only' when it comes to Bible translations. At least not for me personally. I have about five or six translations that are all my favorites. (For those that are curious, they are the BSB, NASB 77, NASB 95, ESV, KJV, NIV 84. In no particular order, I don't play favorites. The Bible in my hand is usually "my favorite." Usually. Not always). 

I loved, loved, loved so much about this bible. I loved the size of the font. Giant print isn't as GIANT as you might imagine. It's slightly bigger than a regular size font you'd find in just about any Bible from the 80s or 90s. But it was super-comfortable on my eyes. Not too big. Not too small.

It is double-column. I don't mind double column, especially with a nice size font.

It is red-letter. But red-letter in a "giant" size font isn't all that bad. I'd still prefer black letter, but it's not bad at all.

I loved the size of this one. It isn't too heavy. I don't know that I'd go so far as to say you could hold it comfortably up in bed to read it, but it isn't too heavy for normal use. It is the perfect weight for daily reading and for taking to church as well.

I loved the translation itself.

Quotes:

Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd, 
            I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures; 
            He leads me beside quiet waters.

He restores my soul; 
            He guides me in the paths of righteousness 
            For His name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
            I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; 
            Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.

Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; 
            Thou hast anointed my head with oil; 
            My cup overflows.

Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, 
            And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

John 14:1-6

“Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. “In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to Myself; that where I am, thereyou may be also. “And you know the way where I am going.” Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: