Wednesday, August 10, 2022

31. I Belong


I Belong: Heidelberg Catechism Question and Answer 1 for Children. Joyce Holstege. Illustrated by Meagan Krosschell. 2022. 48 pages. [Source: Review copy]

What is thy only comfort in life and death?
That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Savior Jesus Christ; who, with his precious blood, hath fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, CRAZY LOVE the Heidelberg Catechism. And the first question is the ABSOLUTE BEST. But you may have noticed that it uses a lot of big words, big concepts, and is, well, perhaps not the most accessibly phrased. I still love, love, love it--as an adult. But wouldn't it be wonderful if this oh-so-amazing catechism question could be broken down in such a way as to be truly accessible to children....

Joyce Holstege's picture book does just that. Each two page spread breaks down a phrase of the first question and answer. It is not an either/or. Readers get the original phrasing + additional explanations and paraphrases. Each explanation reads like a devotional. I would, in fact, recommend treating the book as such. Going through the book slowly-but-surely with children. Reading it together. Perhaps taking turns reading aloud with older children. But this is definitely something that I think parents and children should do together. Just a spread--possibly two--each day. Perhaps even reviewing previous spreads you've read before to revisit the material.

It does do a gospel invitation-presentation. Or perhaps a 'theology 101' if you will. These are some legitimate, substantive questions. This book covers the basics of the faith. 

Link to the publisher's site Reformed Free Publishing Association.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: