Monday, August 15, 2022

12. Revised English Bible


Holy Bible: Revised English Bible. 1989/1996. Cambridge. 1264 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

The Revised English Bible is a revision of the New English Bible. Since I (re)read the New English Bible earlier this year (in June), I thought it would be good to (re)read this one as well. I read these two translations back in 2017. I always knew I'd want to reread them. This was the year.

It is a British translation. And I really loved that about it: honour, splendour, marvellous, defence, offence, etc.

My overall impression is that I liked it; I definitely liked it. I didn't love, love, love it: primarily because word choices can be very telling in certain verses. But mostly I liked it. (I can't think of any examples offhand of verses I didn't like. I didn't make notes for them.)

My biggest complaint is that I have yet to find an edition of this bible with font size large enough for my poor, poor eyes. I have two copies of this one--both with small print. To my knowledge, I have not come across this translation on any of the popular sites or apps. And I have not come across it as a kindle book. So it's teeny tiny print or nothing. 


Gospel of John:
In the beginning the Word already was. The Word was in God’s presence, and what God was, the Word was. He was with God at the beginning, and through him all things came to be; without him no created thing came into being. In him was life, and that life was the light of mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has never mastered it. John 1:1-5
No one has gone up into heaven except the one who came down from heaven, the Son of Man who is in heaven. Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, in order that everyone who has faith may in him have eternal life. God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that everyone who has faith in him may not perish but have eternal life. It was not to judge the world that God sent his Son into the world, but that through him the world might be saved. No one who puts his faith in him comes under judgment; but the unbeliever has already been judged because he has not put his trust in God’s only Son. This is the judgement: the light has come into the world, but people preferred darkness to light because their deeds were evil. Wrongdoers hate the light and avoid it, for fear their misdeeds should be exposed. Those who live by the truth come to the light so that it may be clearly seen that God is in all they do. John 3:13-21
His word has found no home in you, because you do not believe the one whom he sent. You study the scriptures diligently, supposing that in having them you have eternal life; their testimony points to me, yet you refuse to come to me to receive that life. John 5:38-40
My own sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they will never perish; no one will snatch them from my care. My Father who has given them to me is greater than all, and no one can snatch them out of the Father’s care. The Father and I are one. John 10:27-30
Set your troubled hearts at rest. Trust in God always; trust also in me. There are many dwelling-places in my Father’s house; if it were not so I should have told you; for I am going to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I shall come again and take you to myself, so that where I am you may be also. John 14:1-3
Hebrews:
  • He is the radiance of God’s glory, the stamp of God’s very being, and he sustains the universe by his word of power. When he had brought about purification from sins, he took his seat at the right hand of God’s Majesty on high, raised as far above the angels as the title he has inherited is superior to theirs. Hebrews 1:3-4
  • In bringing many sons to glory it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom all things exist, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through sufferings; Hebrews 2:10
  • Because he himself has passed through the test of suffering, he is able to help those who are in the midst of their test. Hebrews 2:18
  • The word of God is alive and active. It cuts more keenly than any two-edged sword, piercing so deeply that it divides soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it discriminates among the purposes and thoughts of the heart. Nothing in creation can hide form him; everything lies bare and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must render account. Hebrews 4:12-13
  • Since therefore we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast to the faith we profess. Ours is not a high priest unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tested in every way as we are, only without sinning. Let us therefore boldly approach the throne of grace, in order that we may receive mercy and find grace to give us timely help. Hebrews 4:14-16
  • Jesus holds a perpetual priesthood, because he remains for ever. That is why he is able to save completely those who approach God through him, since he is always alive to plead on their behalf. Hebrews 7:24-25
  • So now, my friends, the blood of Jesus makes us free to enter the sanctuary with confidence by the new and living way which he has opened for us through the curtain, the way of his flesh. We have a great priest set over the household of God; so let us make our approach in sincerity of heart and the full assurance of faith, inwardly cleansed from a guilty conscience, and outwardly washed with pure water. Let us be firm and unswerving in the confession of our hope, for the giver of the promise is to be trusted. Hebrews 10:19-23
  • Faith gives substance to our hopes and convinces us of realities we do not see. Hebrews 11:1
  • With this great cloud of witnesses around us, therefore, we too must throw off every encumbrance and the sin that all too readily restricts us, and run with resolution the race which lies ahead of us, our eyes fixed on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the sake of the joy that lay ahead of him, he endured the cross, ignoring its disgrace, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2
  • Aim at peace with everyone and holy life, for without that no one will see the Lord. Hebrews 12:14
  • The kingdom we are given is unshakeable; let us therefore give thanks to God for it, and so worship God as he would be worshipped, with reverence and awe; for our God is a devouring fire. Hebrews 12:28-29
  • Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and for ever. So do not be swept off your course by all sorts of outlandish teachings. Hebrews 13:8-9a
  • May the God of peace, who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of an eternal covenant, make you perfect in all goodness so that you may do his will; and may he create in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever! Amen. Hebrews 13:20-21
Psalms:
Bless the LORD, my soul; with all my being I bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, my soul, and forget none of his benefits. He pardons all my wrongdoing and heals all my ills. He rescues me from death’s pit and crowns me with love and compassion. He satisfies me with all good in the prime of life, and my youth is renewed like an eagle’s. The LORD is righteous in all he does; he brings justice to all who have been wronged. Psalm 103:1-6
LORD, out of the depths I have called to you; hear my cry, Lord; let your ears be attentive to my supplication. If you, LORD, should keep account of sins, who could hold his ground? But with you is forgiveness, so that you may be revered. I wait for the LORD with longing; I put my hope in his word. My soul waits for the Lord more eagerly than watchmen for the morning. Like those who watch for the morning, let Israel look for the LORD, for in the LORD is love unfailing, and great is his power to deliver. He alone will set Israel free from all their sins. Psalm 130:1-8
Philippians:
I wish you joy in the Lord always. Again I say: all joy be yours. Philippians 4:4
Do not be anxious, but in everything make your requests known to God in prayer and petition with thanksgiving. Then the peace of God, which is beyond all understanding, will guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus. And now, my friends, all that is true, all that is noble, all that is just and pure, all that is lovable and attractive, whatever is excellent and admirable—fill your thoughts with these things. Philippians 4:6-8
I am able to face anything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
Isaiah:
For a child has been born to us, a son is given to us; he will bear the symbol of dominion on his shoulder, and his title will be: Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty Hero, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace, Wide will be the dominion and boundless the peace bestowed on David’s throne and on his kingdom to establish and support it with justice and righteousness from now on, for evermore. The zeal of the LORD of Hosts will do this. Isaiah 9:6-7
Who could have believed what we have heard? To whom has the power of the LORD been revealed? He grew up before the LORD like a young plant whose roots are in parched ground; he had no beauty, no majesty to catch our eyes, no grace to attract us to him. He was despised, shunned by all, pain-racked and afflicted by disease; we despised him, we held him of no account, an object from which people turn away their eyes. Yet it was our afflictions he was bearing, our pain he endured, while we thought of him as smitten by God, struck down by disease and misery. But he was pierced for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; the chastisement he bore restored us to health and by his wounds we are healed. We had all strayed like sheep, each of us going his own way, but the LORD laid on him the guilt of us all. He was maltreated, yet he was submissive and did not open his mouth; like a sheep led to the slaughter, like a ewe that is dumb before the shearers, he did not open his mouth. He was arrested and sentenced and taken away, and who gave a thought to his fate—how we was cut off from the world of the living, stricken to death for my people’s transgression? He was assigned a grave with the wicked, a burial place among felons, though he had done no violence, had spoken no word of treachery. Yet the LORD took thought for his oppressed servant and healed him who had given himself as a sacrifice for sin. He will enjoy long life and see his children’s children, and in his hand the LORD’s purpose will prosper. By his humiliation my servant will justify many; after his suffering he will see light and be satisfied; it is their guilt he bears. Therefore I shall allot him a portion with the great, and he will share the spoil with the mighty, because he exposed himself to death and was reckoned among transgressors, for he bore the sin of many and interceded for transgressors. Isaiah 53:1-12
Seek the LORD while he is present, call to him while he is close at hand. Let the wicked abandon their ways and the evil their thoughts: let them return to the LORD, who will take pity on them, and to our God, for he will freely forgive. Isaiah 55:6-7
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways. This is the word of the LORD. But as the heavens are high above the earth, so are my ways high above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts. As the rain and snow come down from the heavens and do not return there without watering the earth, making it produce grain to give seed for sowing and bread to eat, so it is with my word issuing from my mouth; it will not return to me empty without accomplishing my purpose and succeeding in the task for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:8-11




© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: