Wednesday, March 1, 2023

24. The Rose and the Thistle


The Rose and the Thistle. Laura Frantz. 2023. 416 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Struck by sunlight, the sprawling chateau was a blinding, rose-hued white. It reminded Lady Blythe Hedley of home, of her family's Northumbrian castle with its pink harled walls, a pearl in an emerald-green meadow. 

The Rose and the Thistle is a historical romance novel set primarily in Scotland circa 1715/1716. It is a time of unrest. There are those--in England and Scotland--that would have the Stuarts back on the throne. (Jacobites). There are those that have conceded that the king on the throne is George I. Lady Blythe's father, an Englishman, is Catholic and a Stuart-supporter. His views on politics may put his daughter at risk. (There is no 'may' about it. They will. They do.) Lady Blythe has grown up Catholic, to be sure, but her mind isn't so much occupied with politics and political intrigue...as it is book-learning. She's fluent in many languages. She loves to read. She loves to learn. 

To keep her safe--or safer--her father decides to send her to live with her godfather--a Scottish nobleman. (Her godfather is barely, barely in the story). Everard Hume (a Protestant), is a Scottish Lord, who is a little less than thrilled with taking in Lady Blythe. Though once she arrives, what can he do??? Soon, she's turning their lives topsy-turvy, but almost certainly for the better. How long will she stay? Will these two--an English Rose and a Scottish Thistle--make a pair?

I loved this one. I absolutely loved it. Laura Frantz is one of my favorite, favorite, favorite authors. I love the Scottish setting. I love the historical time period. I love the characters, the story. I love all the Hume brothers--in residence. I love that it isn't so much focused on two individuals falling in love. I love the cast of characters. I love the dialogue. This one was just a treat from first page to last.

Yes, it did take me about a month to read. But it wasn't because it was slow or dull. It was because I was savoring each and every chapter. I didn't want to rush through it. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: