Monday, May 8, 2023

3. NRSV XL


NRSV XL: Holy Bible. God. 2007. 1824 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, and the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters. Then God said, 'Let there be light'; and there was light.

Three things you should know from the start:

1) It is the Anglicised NRSV.
2) It is the Anglicised Catholic NRSV. (Yes, there is an Anglicised NRSV that is not the Catholic edition). There are extra books of the Bible in this one. (Though not the full apocrypha.)
3) It is square. 

Is it extra large text? It is a matter of perspective, I suppose. I vote no. Others might vote yes. The publishers think this is extra large font. The publisher description says the font size is 12. I'm suspicious. 

It is double column. Because the book is square, the double columns are wider, perhaps acting more like a single column. (For better or worse).

It is black letter. Words of Christ are in black. This is definitely a plus.

It is in paragraph format, not verse by verse. 

The WEAKEST element of this one. The PAGES are horrible. Absolutely horrible. You can look at a page and it will start to wrinkle, to crinkle, to fold up on itself. No touching required for the pages to start misbehaving. Let alone normal use like--shock--opening and closing the Bible to read it. This might be forgiven--I'm not yet that concerned about wrinkled pages to stop reading the Bible--if the ghosting wasn't also an issue. 

As for the translation, this is my second time to read the NRSV and my first time to read the Anglicized and/or Anglicized Catholic edition. Offhand, I didn't personally have any "aha" yes this is where they changed it from the traditional NRSV moments. I'm just not familiar with the NRSV to be able to spot differences. The NRSV is not among my 'top tier' favorite-favorite translations. I bought this one because of the "extra large" font. I thought it might give me a better chance at appreciating this translation than the tiny-size font editions I had. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: