Thursday, September 7, 2023

10. Legacy Standard Bible, Giant Print


Legacy Standard Bible, Giant Print Reference. 2023. [July] 1984 pages. [Source: Bought] [Bible]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.

I first read the Legacy Standard Bible in January of 2022. (I reviewed it on January 28, 2022). I enjoyed the translation the first time around, but my biggest complaint was the size of the font. This GIANT-PRINT reference edition is an absolute dream come true. 

It is GIANT PRINT (13 pt font). The pages are THICK (32GSM). It is line-matched. It is double-column. The references are actually large enough to read. It is black letter. It is paragraph instead of verse by verse. 

The layout is so beautiful that I can't imagine not reading this one again and again and again. I wish ALL translations had a bible this lovely in hardback so that it is more affordable.

I read this one as part of the Daily Offices for the Book of Common Prayer. To clarify, I do the Daily Offices my own way. Traditionally, there are two lessons--one from the Old Testament, one from the New Testament--at each lesson. Each "lesson" consisting of one chapter. That is not how I do it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the traditional method. By almost all standards, covering FOUR chapters a day plus the psalms readings, would be significant, substantive, meaty. But I'm a glutton. I am. I "overeat" if you will on the Scriptures. Taking literally, the "taste and see" and "delight yourself" of scripture, I read multiple chapters per lesson.

My start date this time around was July 27, 2023. My finish date was September 7, 2023. 

Psalm 23

Yahweh is my shepherd,
I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.

He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.

Surely goodness and lovingkindness will pursue me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of Yahweh forever.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: