Wednesday, October 11, 2023

12. New International Version, 1978


New International Version, 1978 edition. God. 1342 pages. [Source: Bought] [Bible]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 

1978 was the first year the New International Version published the Old Testament and the New Testament. The New Testament had come out a handful of years before in 1973. (Did you know that the Gospel of John was the first published in 1970?) The NIV would be updated and finalized (if you will) in 1984. 

I bought my copy at a thrift shop for $4. It isn't in the best condition. (I don't know that I'll give it a second read with the binding being in this shape.) But I knew I wanted to read it through at least once since I grew up reading the NIV 1984. I started on August 29, 2023. I finished on October 11, 2023.

It is DOUBLE column. It is in paragraphs--as opposed to verse by verse. There are not cross references, though there are some textual notes. It is black letter. The font size is on the smaller side. If I had to guess I'd say it was about 8 point font perhaps. 

NIV 1978's rendering of Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life, 
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: