Thursday, October 26, 2023

14. NASB XL (Leathersoft)


NASB 1995 XL. God. Zondervan. 2021. 1664 pages. [Source: Bought] 

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.

I do love the New American Standard Bible. I love the 1977 and the 1995 most. Though there are others with that name. 1971 and 1973 are long out of print. 2020 is 'new'. I don't actively dislike the 2020. I don't, I'm not one of those extremists that must avoid it at all costs or a rant will be forthcoming. I am perfectly fine with the 2020. 

The format of this one IS unique. It's a square essentially. The columns are VERY wide as the pages themselves are very wide. This Bible takes up all of your lap. (For better or worse). The font size is generously large. It is purposefully bulky and awkward. 

I did enjoy this one MORE than the NRSV XL which I also reviewed this year. The paper was not extra wrinkly. You could look at the NRSV XL and the pages would start to wrinkle, fold, crumple. It was a MESS. 

I liked this one mostly. I love, love, love the translation. But it wasn't easy to read in lap. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. 

It is verse by verse. It is black letter. It is double column. The font size, as I mentioned, is large. It is comfort print. It has many things that are positive. I just didn't exactly love the square awkwardness. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: