Thursday, October 26, 2023

13. King James Version, Sovereign Personal Size Reference Bible


King James Version, Personal Size Sovereign Collection. God. Thomas Nelson Publishers. 1696 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 

This is not my first time to read the King James Version. It is one of my absolute favorite translations of the Bible. It is my first time to read the King James Bible in Nelson's new Sovereign collection. I could not find my Bible on GoodReads (not surprising). I found the 'fake leather' in PURPLE at HalfPrice books. 

I started the project on September 8, 2023. I finished on October 25, 2023. I had not originally planned to reread the King James Version again this year--since I'd just finished reading through it in the summer. Finding this Bible, it persuaded me to read it NOW, NOW, NOW. 

The layout of the Sovereign is excellent. I do think my copy at least had some problems with the red accent color. There were pages where the drop caps and verse numbers were very faint/faded. Plenty of chapters were strong, dark, easy to read. So it didn't end up being a deal breaker for me to see these discolorations. I do wonder if these variations might have been why HalfPrice was able to buy so many new to have on their shelves. (Perhaps this was a known issue with the lot?) 

About this edition:

Line-matched classic 2-column format [the Psalms are in single column format just so you know]
Extensive end-of-page cross references 
Translation notes [not sure if this goes under translation notes, but this edition features WORDS DEFINED. So the more 'archaic' words were defined for readers in the notes]
Presentation page
Bible book introductions
Words of Christ in red
Concordance
Full-color maps
Two satin ribbon markers
Gilded page edges
Durable and flexible Smyth-sewn binding
Clear and readable KJV Comfort Print [I adore the KJV Comfort Print. I believe this is my only KJV Bible so far to be in Comfort Print.]
9.5-point print size 

The font size AND weight were a good balance. It was easy to hold. GREAT to hold. It was natural and effortless as opposed to bulky and awkward. The font size was good overall. Some days my vision is weaker than others, but most of the time it worked well. 

I am not a believer in "the one." That is the concept or idea of a person using ONE and only ONE Bible to read forever and ever. I'm not even sure I believe in ONE translation to read forever and ever. But if I did, this one would probably be mine. I WOULD LOVE IT EVEN MORE IN BLACK LETTER, obviously. But this one comes so close to being perfectly perfect in terms of layout and weight. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: