Thursday, April 4, 2024

5. NIV (2011) Value Thinline


NIV Value Thinline Large Print (2011 edition). 2017. Zondervan. 1110 pages. [Source: Bought]

ISBN: 0310448557
ISBN-13: 9780310448556

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

This review is for the NIV Value Thinline Bible, Large Print Blue, Imitation Leather. 

This one has 11.5 font size, double columns, and is black letter. 

I have read the 2011 edition of the New International Version several times. I still--by far--prefer the 1984 edition of the New International Version. But spilled milk is spilled milk is spilled milk. It is not coming back in print and that's that. Perhaps I will one day become familiar enough with the "new" update that I will stop missing the old. Perhaps. I do find both editions of the New International Version readable and easily so. Nothing archaic or clunky about it. 

This time around I read using the Mini/Many Horner Bookmark system which is one of my adaptations of the Professor Horner Bible reading system. Essentially I read from five bookmarks each day. 

My first four bookmarks were:

The Torah (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy)
Nevi'im Former Prophets (Joshua, Judges, 1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings)
Nevi'im Latter Prophets (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi)
Ketuvim "The Writings" (Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra, Nehemiah, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles)

My fifth bookmark was the New Testament.

I do love the Bible. I may not love, love, love, love this exact translation of the Bible. But I do recognize that it is still very much the Word of God and to be treasured and appreciated. The best Bible is the one that you will actually read and take to heart. The best Bible is the one you will feast on and grow in. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: