Friday, April 24, 2015

Book Review: A Life Observed

A Life Observed: A Spiritual Biography of C.S. Lewis. Devin Brown. 2013. 256 pages. [Source: Library]

I enjoyed reading Devin Brown's biography of C.S. Lewis. I'm not sure I found it as fascinating as his biography of J.R.R. Tolkien. But I definitely found it worth reading and of some interest. A Life Observed is not exactly a biography of C.S. Lewis, it is a spiritual biography. It is a book that seeks to trace the formation or transformation of C.S. Lewis' spirituality. The book relies heavily on Lewis' own work: his books, his essays, his letters, his diaries.

Table of Contents:

Prologue: A Longing Nothing Can Satisfy
Infant and Child (1898-1908)
Schoolboy and Adolescent (1908-1913)
Young Man and University Student (1913-1925)
Oxford Don and Reluctant Convert (1925-1931)
Inkling and Author (1931-1950)
Husband, Widower, and Brother Once More (1950-1963)
Epilogue: Home at Last

How do I feel about C.S. Lewis? Well, his work, I mean. I do like the Chronicles of Narnia for the most part. And I love The Screwtape Letters. But I don't love all his works. I don't like all his works. As a theologian, I find him somewhat suspect.

I would recommend A Life Observed to readers who want to learn more about C.S. Lewis.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: