Friday, July 22, 2016

Book Review: Hello, I'm Johnny Cash


Hello, I'm Johnny Cash. G. Neri. Illustrated by A.G. Ford. 2014. Candlewick. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Before he became Johnny Cash, he was simply called J.R.-- a name that stood for nothing, and nothing was all he had coming into this world.

Premise/plot: Hello, I'm Johnny Cash is a picture book biography for older readers. This biography is told in verse. Each two-page spread is a poem. Many poems share a connection with his music--either a name of a song Cash recorded, or, a lyric taken from one of his songs. Most of the book focuses on his life BEFORE he became a famous country singer. The last few pages tell the story of his early successes.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. I did. G. Neri did a great job placing his life in context and sneaking in some history as well. This one is more than a rags-to-riches feel-good story. I really appreciated how his religious/spiritual life was not downplayed or dismissed. Cash's love for gospel music is evident throughout.

I also really loved the illustrations by A.G. Ford.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10


I Walk The Line


The Man in Black


Ring of Fire


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: