From "Giving Wrong Salvation Instructions, part 2" in Judge Not by Todd Friel p. 146, 148
1. It is not in the Bible. Jesus does come and dwell in the human heart (Ephesians 3:17), but the trillion dollar question is, "How does He get in there?" The biblical answer is, "Repentance and faith" (Mark 1:15). There is not a single verse that even hints we should say a prayer to invite Jesus into our hearts.
2. Asking Jesus into your heart is a saying that makes no sense. While I suspect that most adults cannot articulate the actual meaning of this phrase, I am certain that no child can explain it.
3. Asking Jesus into your heart leaves out the biblical requirement of repentance (Acts 2:38).
4. Asking Jesus into your heart leaves out the biblical requirement of faith (Acts 16:31).
5. It presents God as a powerless beggar who hopes you will let Him into your busy life.
© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible