Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Question of the Week #25


Welcome to the twenty-fifth edition of the Question of the Week! Please consider sending me your ideas for future questions :) I am SO VERY THANKFUL for the people who have done so!

Do you like to talk about the Bible with other people? Do you like to have biblical discussions? debates? arguments? passionate ramblings?
----------My answers------------

Yes and no. I can talk the Bible morning, noon, and night with my mom. These conversations are rarely planned, and are always enjoyable. (And no, we don't always agree.) And I enjoy talking about the Bible with a few other people in my life. But it's rare for me to do this with non-family members. Maybe because I'm shy (in person). Maybe I'm afraid of being misunderstood. Maybe because I know a lot of stubborn people. Maybe because I like to know where the other person is coming from. Maybe because I'm not one to confront anyone about anything. I'm opinionated. Always opinionated. But I'm not one to argue--calmly or not-so-calmly with "outsiders." Like if I disagree (often quite strongly) with my pastor's sermons (which is almost always the case) then I'm not one to approach, confront, or argue. I tend to think that putting someone on the defensive isn't the way to go about it. I'm not one to start a debate. (There are some exceptions to the rule. I might email the preacher privately if I feel righteously indignant and brave. But 98% of the time, I let it go.)

One new-to-me game that you might want to try for yourself is a Bible-focused game of Twenty Questions. When the electricity went out a few weeks ago, mom, dad, and I played this game for about two hours. (We were left without power a little over fifteen hours.) One person would think of something from the Bible (a person, a place, an object or "thing", an animal, etc.) and the others would ask questions. The questions have to be something with yes/no answers. And whoever guessed right got to pick next. Some took a lot more than twenty questions, but we weren't counting :) This game gave everyone a chance to be clever. One of mom's was "peacock." And that one had us guessing forever. And dad was clever and did "furnace" once. Anyway, it was a fun game considering.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Sherrylinn said...

I was finally able to get online long enough to get this post up. I apologize for the delay and falling behind.

God Bless!