Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Question of the Week #26


Welcome to the twenty-sixth edition of the Question of the Week. We're about at the halfway point of the year. So my question this week is a reflective one. Use this as a springboard for discussing whatever you'd like. You don't have to stick to these questions specifically.

How is your Bible reading going? Are you meeting the goals you set earlier in the year? If you chose to go with a Bible reading plan, how is that going for you? Are you sticking with it? Have you experienced any setbacks along the way? Have you made Bible-reading a habit, a discipline? What have you learned along the way? Do you have any words of wisdom you'd like to share?
My answers----------------

I note my Bible reading progress every Sunday in my Sunday Salon/Week In Review post. I also have progress-posts (see above) for each Bible. (For example, ESV Study Bible) I have completed the Wycliffe New Testament and the Tyndale New Testament. And I've read Genesis through Ruth in the ESV Study Bible (also Job).

That's sidestepping the question a teeny bit perhaps. I have incorporated Bible-reading into my daily life. It's become a natural part of my life now--part of my routine. So on the one hand, it's not something that I brush aside and make excuses for anymore. I don't have time. I'm too busy. Missing one day won't matter. I'm too stressed. I'll just double up tomorrow. I'll catch up on the weekend. Excuses are so easy to make. And I think it's human nature to make excuses.

So I'm pleased I've been able to make a lifestyle change. Believe me, a year ago, was not a pretty picture. Two years ago was tragic. Three years ago, I don't even want to think about. But it's a God thing, a grace thing. I don't take credit for it. Grace is so central to daily life. It keeps you grounded and keeps you alive.


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

2 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

How is your Bible reading going? Are you meeting the goals you set earlier in the year?

I'm a little behind. I'm just now finishing up Numbers. I decided to start from the beginning of the Bible and work forward from there. I've jumped up to Psalms between books just for a little break and I reserve the right to go anywhere I wish.

If you chose to go with a Bible reading plan, how is that going for you? Are you sticking with it? Have you experienced any setbacks along the way? Have you made Bible-reading a habit, a discipline? What have you learned along the way? Do you have any words of wisdom you'd like to share?

I've made it a habit to read the Bible at night before I turn out the light. It works except when there is a lot of stuff going on and like right now where I'm recovering from a very small eye injury that makes it impossible to read when I'm tired.

I skip a few days and then I go back at it.

My word of wisdom is to keep trying. I'm a runner and I use my running philosophy with my Bible reading. I read when I can and if I miss I start back when I can.

I really enjoy reading the entire text of a book of the Bible instead of just the "good parts" as determined by somebody. There is a lot that goes on in the "boring" parts that gives you a little insight into God and what he is doing. If it is important enough to be in the Book then it is important enough for me to read.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been doing so well these past couple of weeks, only because we're in transition between states and getting our new house all situated. Still reading every day, but not at the pace I had going.

I'm sure I'm not halfway through yet, I had a Bible plan and then started doing some Bible studies that had me skipping around a bit more, but I suppose the whole point is that I AM reading and I'm absorbing God's word. If I don't finish the entire Bible this year, then so be it, but I'm loving the process and the knowledge I'm gaining.