Sunday, January 20, 2013

Music Review: Chris Tomlin's Burning Lights

I am absolutely loving Chris Tomlin's newest album, Burning Lights.

After the instrumental "Burning Lights," the album begins with Awake My Soul. I love this one! I do. I love the message. (The chorus: "Awake, awake, awake my soul, God resurrect these bones From death to life, through you alone Awake my soul") And I love Lecrae's part in this one. Ezekiel's dry bones prophesy has always been one of my favorite chapters. I love the imagery of regeneration, of new birth.

The next song is Whom Shall I Fear. I love this one because it is so scriptural. Think Psalm 91:1-16, Romans 8:31-39, Proverbs 18:10, Psalm 27:1, etc. I have several favorite lines: "My strength is in Your name For You alone can save You will deliver me Yours is the victory" and "The one who reigns forever He is a friend of mine" and "And nothing formed against me shall stand You hold the whole world in Your hands I'm holding on to Your promises." Isn't this the kind of song we need every day?

Lay Me Down has to be one of my favorites. (Romans 12:1-2, Psalm 37:4, Philippians 1:21) I love the whole song, I do. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the bridge: It will be my joy to say Your will Your way It will be my joy to say Your will Your way It will be my joy to say Your will Your way always. Wouldn't we all be better if we could passionately say that and mean it!

God's Great Dance Floor is a loud, happy dance song. The message: "You'll never stop loving us No matter how far we run You'll never give up on us."

White Flag is a song I love, love, love. My favorite part: "Here on this Holy ground You made a way for peace Laying your body down You took our rightful place This freedom song is marching on." We have been set free from our sins, and we are Christ's. "We raise our white flag The war is over Love has come Your love has won." Good news indeed.

Crown Him (Majesty) is a beautiful song, truly beautiful. You'll probably recognize some of this from the hymn; I really love this adaptation. Again I find myself loving the bridge: "All hail, Redeemer, hail For he has died for me His praise and glory shall not fail Throughout eternity."

Jesus, Son of God. Oh, how I LOVE this song. I absolutely love the lyrics. These are words with substance, providing listeners with something to meditate on. (Philippians 2:5-11, 1 John 4:9-11, Romans 5:6-11, etc.) The chorus: "On the altar of our praise Let there be no higher name Jesus Son of God You laid down Your perfect life You are the sacrifice Jesus Son of God You are Jesus Son of God."

Sovereign. I love this song!!! I do!!! "In your never failing love You work everything for good God whatever comes my way I will trust you."

Countless Wonders. A good companion to dozens of Psalms! It's a beautiful song. (Psalm 77:14, Psalm 89:5, etc.)

Thank You God For Saving Me is such a honest, heartfelt song.

The last song is Shepherd Boy. The title of the album comes from this one.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: