Sunday, May 5, 2013

Psalm 139 1-12

From the New English Bible
Lord, thou hast examined me and knowest me.
Thou knowest all, whether I sit down or rise up;
thou has discerned my thoughts from afar.
Thou has traced my journey and my resting places,
and art familiar with all my paths.
For there is not a word on my tongue
but thou, LORD, knowest them all.
Thou hast kept close guard before me and behind
and has spread thy hand over me.
Such knowledge is beyond my understanding,
so high that I cannot reach it.
Where can I escape from thy spirit?
Where can I flee from thy presence?
If I climb up to heaven, thou art there;
if I make my bed in Sheol, again I find thee.
If I take my flight to the frontiers of the morning
or dwell at the limit of the western sea,
even there thy hand will meet me
and thy right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely darkness will steal over me,
night will close around me',
darkness is no darkness for thee
and night is luminous as day;
to thee both dark and light are one.
From the Revised English Bible
Lord, you have examined me and you know me.
You know me at rest and in action;
you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeying and my resting-places,
and are familiar with all the paths I take.
For there is not a word that I speak
but you, LORD, know all about it.
You keep close guard behind and before me
and place your hand upon me.
Knowledge so wonderful is beyond my grasp;
it is so lofty I cannot reach it.
Where can I escape from your spirit,
where flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;
if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.
If I travel to the limits of the east,
or dwell at the bounds of the western sea,
even there your hand will be guiding me,
your right hand holding me fast.
If I say, 'Surely darkness will steal over me,
and the day around me turn to night,'
darkness is not too dark for you
and night is as light as day;
to you both dark and light are one.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: