To clarify, you do NOT have to join me in reading Psalm 119 to participate in Celebrate the Bible. Read the Bible. Read what you want, where you want. Just read something and share with everyone where you're reading and what you're learning!!!
Week Two, November 9-15
November 9, read and meditate on Psalm 119:49-56
November 10, read and meditate on Psalm 119:57-64
November 11, read and meditate on Psalm 119:65-72
November 12, read and meditate on Psalm 119:73-80
November 13, read and meditate on Psalm 119:81-88
November 14, read and meditate on Psalm 119:89-96
November 15, read Psalm 119 and/OR read J.C. Ryle's Bible Reading
Be sure to check out week one's quotes and resources.
Question(s): Is Bible reading a part of your daily routine? If not, what keeps you from reading the Bible? Have you prayed for God to change your heart? to give you the desire to spend time in His word? If it is, what keeps you reading the Bible?
Highlights from Psalm 119:49-96 in the MEV Translation:
- Your statutes have been my songs in the house of my temporary dwelling. Psalm 119:54
- I have remembered Your name, O LORD, in the night, and have kept Your law. Psalm 119:55
- You are my portion, O LORD; I have said that I would keep Your words. Psalm 119:57
- I seek Your favor with my whole heart; be merciful according to Your word. Psalm 119:58
- The earth, O LORD, is full of Your mercy; teach me Your statutes. Psalm 119:64
- Teach me good discernment and knowledge, for I have believed Your commandments. Psalm 119:66
- You are good and do good; teach me Your statutes. Psalm 119:68
- The law from Your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver coins. Psalm 119:72
- Your hands have made me and fashioned me; give me understanding, that I may learn Your commandments. Psalm 119:73
- Let Your compassion come to me, that I may live, for Your law is my delight. Psalm 119:77
- My soul longs for Your deliverance, but I hope in Your word. Psalm 119:81
- My eyes are weary for Your word, saying "When will You comfort me? Psalm 119:82
- Revive me according to Your lovingkindness, that I may keep the testimony from Your mouth. Psalm 119:88
- Forever, O LORD, Your word is established in heaven. Psalm 119:89
- Your faithfulness is for all generations; You have established the earth, and it is firm. Psalm 119:90
- I will never forget Your precepts, for with them You have revived me. Psalm 119:93
Highlights from the rest of the Bible in the ESV translation:
- One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple. Psalm 27:4
- Let us know; let us press on to know the Lord; his going out is sure as the dawn; he will come to us as the showers, as the spring rains that water the earth. Hosea 6:3
- Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I hope in Him!” The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, To the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly For the salvation of the Lord. Lamentations 3:22-26
- “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:4-9
- He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? Micah 6:8
© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible
- Look at the Book (video labs)
- Bible Fluency: Sing It, See It, Study It "Bible Fluency is a free learning program for those who desire to know the Bible but don’t know how to find their way around it!"
- Promise and Deliverance by S.G. De Graaf (links to pdfs)
- The Crisis of Biblical Illiteracy & What We Can Do About It
- The Psalm 119 Experience
- Hope and Comfort, Psalm 119:49, 50, 52, Life Essentials Videos (Gene Getz)
- God's Standard, Psalm 119:59, 60, Life Essentials Videos (Gene Getz)
- God's Faithful Love, Psalm 119:65-67, 71-72, 75-76, 88, Life Essentials Videos (Gene Getz)
- God's Eternal Word, Psalm 119:89, 96, Life Essentials Videos (Gene Getz)
There can be no fullness in our joy in God where there is no fullness in the revelation of God’s excellencies. And that fullness is in the Bible. You can’t love him if you don’t know him. And the more fully you know him, the more fully you can love him and treasure him and delight in him. And God knows what kind of revelation and what fullness of revelation is needed to ignite and sustain the fullness of joy that glorifies him most. And that fullness of revelation is in the Bible. ~ John Piper, "Scripture, The Kindling of Christian Hedonism"
God has ordained that the miracle of new birth, by which we are made alive from our spiritual deadness happens through hearing the word of God. The new birth is a work of the Holy Spirit sovereignly making the dead live, giving sight to the blind, so that we see the glory of Christ in the word… He shone in your heart. He overcame your blindness. He caused you to see the glory of God in the face of Christ. That means when the word was preached to you or taught to you or read by you, God said, “Let there be light.” And the self-authenticating glory of God in the person of Christ shone in your heart, as the broad day sun. You were born again. No more deadness. No more bondage. No more guilt. No more wrath. All of it because of the God’s word by the Spirit (see 2 Corinthians 4:5). ~ John Piper, "Scripture, The Kindling of Christian Hedonism"
The reason there can be no saving faith apart from the Scriptures is they are the only reliable portrait of the Christ of faith. Saving faith is faith in Christ, and Christ is only known through the inspired Scriptures. If we try to reconstruct an object of faith that does not rely on the truth of scripture we will not create saving faith. ~ John Piper, "Scripture, The Kindling of Christian Hedonism"
Little time in the Word together with little prayer is death to the spiritual life. Much of the Word but little prayer yields a less than healthy spiritual life. Time spent in prayer with little time in the Word yields life, but without steadfastness. A full measure of the Word and much prayer each day produces a healthy and powerful life. ~ Andrew Murray
We must understand that the Holy Spirit is essentially the Spirit of the Word and the Spirit of prayer. He will cause the Word to become joy and light in our souls. He will also help us in prayer to know the mind and will of God and to find in it our delight. If we wish to explain these things to God’s people that they may know the inheritance that is prepared for them, we must commit ourselves from this moment forward to the leading of the Holy Spirit. We must through faith in what He will do in us appropriate the heavenly life of Christ as He lived it on earth, with certain expectation that the Spirit who filled Him with the Word and prayer will also accomplish that work in us. Let us believe that the Spirit who is in us is the Spirit of the Lord Jesus and that He is in us to make us truly partakers of His life. If we firmly believe this and set our hearts upon it, there will come a change in our involvement with the Word and prayer such as we could not have thought possible. Believe it firmly and expect it. ~ Andrew Murray
© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible