Wednesday, January 31, 2018

January Check-In

What Bible(s) did I read from this month? The King James Readers' Bible. This one has no chapters or verses.
How many books by J.C. Ryle did I read this month? I read two books by J.C. Ryle.


Favorite quote(s) by J.C. Ryle:
We are constantly sowing seeds which will spring up and bear fruit, every day and hour in our lives. There are eternal consequences resulting from all our thoughts and words and actions, of which we take far too little account.
Am I keeping up with my Morning and Evening devotional by Charles Spurgeon? Yes. But barely. Today I read January 28th through 31st. Still being behind just by a few days is better than being behind by a week or two!

Favorite quote(s) by Charles Spurgeon:
  • O for grace to study the Bible with Jesus as both our teacher and our lesson!
How many books by R.C. Sproul did I read this month? 4




Favorite quote(s) by R.C. Sproul:
“Rejoice in the Lord always” (Philippians 4:4a). This is one of those biblical imperatives, and it leaves no room for not rejoicing, for Paul says Christians are to rejoice always—not sometimes, periodically, or occasionally. The key to the Christian’s joy is its source, which is the Lord. If Christ is in me and I am in Him, that relationship is not a sometimes experience. The Christian is always in the Lord and the Lord is always in the Christian, and that is always a reason for joy. Even if the Christian cannot rejoice in his circumstances, if he finds himself passing through pain, sorrow, or grief, he still can rejoice in Christ. We rejoice in the Lord, and since He never leaves us or forsakes us, we can rejoice always.
Did I read any Puritans or Reformers this month: I read about Reformers.


Favorite quote(s):
  • Take away the Gospel from a Church and that Church is not worth preserving. A well without water, a scabbard without a sword, a steam-engine without a fire, a ship without compass and rudder, a watch without a mainspring, a stuffed carcase without life,—all these are useless things. But there is nothing so useless as a Church without the Gospel.
Did I complete at least one book from the TBR Pile challenge? Which one? No. But I'm close to finishing the KJV Readers' Bible.

Other Christian nonfiction books read this month:


Christian fiction books read this month:
1.  The Promise of Dawn. Lauraine Snelling. 2017. Bethany House. 386 pages. [Source: Review copy]
2. Where We Belong. Lynn Austin. 2017. Bethany House. 480 pages. [Source: Review copy]
3. The Lacemaker. Laura Frantz. 2018. Revell. 416 pages. [Source: Review copy]
4. The Chapel Car Bride. Judith Miller. 2017. Bethany House. 352 pages. [Source: Review copy]

How many "new" books did I read (published 2000-present)? 12
How many "old" books did I read (published before 2000)? 3
Which book was my overall favorite?

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: