Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Today I Feel...

On Young Readers today I posted a review of Madalena Moniz' Today I Feel An Alphabet of Feelings.

The picture book uses the alphabet to answer the question 'How are you feeling today?' It's worth noting that not one of the answers is the word FINE.

The book is an opportunity for all ages to explore feelings in an honest way. Opportunity being a key word. Honest being another.

I'll be honest. I'm never honest when answering this question. I don't know if I'm one of many where deception is just an automatic habit. So much so that it doesn't even register as a lie. I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm fine.

Do I lie out of habit? Do I lie because I sense that the question is habit as well? It's good manners to ask. It's good manners to answer fine. Do I lie because I sense that no one would take the time to listen to the real truth? But is my sense accurate? Do people care more than I think? Perhaps I lie because it saves time and energy--fine doesn't require a story or explanation. It doesn't demand attention or a reaction. It ends conversations and doesn't begin them.

The Bible also has a concept book for teaching us to express our feelings in an honest way--the book of Psalms. Praise the LORD we never have to lie to God about what we're feeling, how we're feeling. Whether in words or groans, melodies or tears we can just be with God. We can find strength, hope, comfort in coming to God as is. And AS IS is important. God doesn't require us to feel fine, to be fine to come into his presence. We don't have to conform to any one correct feeling or emotion to come to God.  



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: