Monday, September 10, 2018

Berean Playlist #4 The Happy Song

See my blog post: On Being Berean, Part 2 for context on this series.
See video Delirious

Lyrics

Oh I could sing unending songs of how you saved my soul
Well, I could dance a thousand miles because of your great love

My heart is bursting LORD to tell of all You've done
Of how You've changed my life, and wiped away the past
Oh, I wanna shout it out -- From every roof top sing
For now I know that God is for me not against me

---
Everybody's singin' now...cause we're so happy!
Everybody's dancin' now...cause we're so happy!
If only we could see your face and see you smiling over us
As unseen angels celebrate hey for joy's in this place

Is the happiness or JOY of The Happy Song contagious? I think so. It's a VIBRANT, joyful, lively, peppy, happy-clappy, fast-tempo song. But is it biblical?

These are the verses I am selecting for the verse and bridge:

  • 1 John 4:10, "In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His son to be the propitiation for our sins."
  • Romans 5:6-11, "For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation."
  • 2 Corinthians 5:17-19, "Therefore from now on we recognize no one according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this way no longer. Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation."
  • Romans 8:31-39, "What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?Just as it is written, For Your sake we are being put to death all day longWe were considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
  • Ephesians 3:14-19, "For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God."
  • Luke 15:10, "In the same way, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."
  • Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    And all that is within me, bless His holy name.
    Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    And forget none of His benefits;
    Who pardons all your iniquities,
    Who heals all your diseases;
    Who redeems your life from the pit,
    Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
    Who satisfies your years with good things,
    So that your youth is renewed like the eagle. Psalm 103:1-5

These are the verses I am selecting for the chorus:

  • Psalm 107:2, "Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom He has redeemed from the hand of the adversary."
  • Psalm 9:1, "I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonders."
  • Psalm 66:16, "Come and hear, all who fear God, and I will tell of what He has done for my soul."
  • Psalm 71:15, "My mouth shall tell of Your righteousness and of Your salvation all day long; for I do not know the sum of them."
  • Psalm 73:28, "But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works." 
  • Psalm 30:11, "You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness." 
  • Psalm 149: 3, "Let them praise His name with dancing; Let them sing praises to Him with timbrel and lyre."
  • Psalm 150:4, "Praise Him with timbrel and dancing; Praise Him with stringed instruments and pipe."
  • 2 Samuel 6:14, "And David was dancing before the Lord with all his might...."
  • Ecclesiastes 3:4, "A time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance."
  • Psalm 5:11,  "But let all who take refuge in You be glad, let them ever sing for joy; And may you shelter them, that those who love Your name may exult in You."
  • Psalm 13:6, "I will sing to the LORD, because he has dealt bountifully with me."
  • Psalm 33:1, "Sing for joy in the LORD, O you righteous ones; Praise is becoming to the upright."
  • Psalm 33:3, "Sing to Him a new song; play skillfully with a shout of joy."
  • Psalm 61:8, "So I will sing praise to Your name forever, That I may pay my vows day by day."
  • Psalm 84:2, "My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the LORD; My heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God.
  • Psalm 89:1, "I will sing of the lovingkindness of the LORD forever; to all generations I will make known Your faithfulness with my mouth."
  • Psalm 95: "O come, let us sing for joy to the LORD, let us shout joyfully to the rock of our salvation."
  • Psalm 96:2, "Sing to the LORD, bless His name; Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day."
  • Psalm 98:4, "Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth; Break forth and sing for joy and sing praises."
  • Psalm 104:33, "I will sing to the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have my being."
  • Psalm 105:2, "Sing to Him, sing praises to Him; Speak of all His wonders."
  • Philippians 4:4, "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!"

Is the song instructional? Would the lyrics of the song instruct and teach? Probably not. They touch on great truths of the Bible--see above. But the song assumes that the congregation--the audience--the singers and dancers--are among the Lord's redeemed. That they have experienced gospel blessedness for themselves.

The Happy Song was an instant favorite when I first heard it, and it remains a favorite to this day. There are other songs that have come to mean more to me--that I feel like I have crawled in and lived. But The Happy Song is a good one!


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: