Thursday, November 1, 2018

Bible Review: The New English Bible

The New English Bible. Oxford University Press. 1970. 1502 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning of creation, when God made heaven and earth, the ear was without form and void, with darkness over the face of the abyss, and a mighty wind that swept over the surface of the waters. (Genesis 1:1-2)

This was my second time to read through the whole Bible in the New English Bible translation. I first read and reviewed it in January 2017.

At first my plan was to divide up my reading over five weeks or so.

Week one: Matthew, Genesis, Psalm Book I: 1-41, Proverbs, James, Galatians, Romans, Ephesians, Joshua, Hosea, Joel
Week two: Mark, Exodus, Psalm Book II: 42-72, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Judges, Ruth, Jeremiah, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah,
Week three: Luke, Leviticus, Psalm Book III: 73-89, Hebrews, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, Song of Songs, Lamentations, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy,  Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah,
Week four: Acts, Numbers, Psalm Book IV: 90-106, Ecclesiastes, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, Ezekiel, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi, Titus, Philemon, Jude,
Week five: John, Deuteronomy, Psalm Book V: 107-150, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Daniel, Job, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Revelation

But. I ended up reading it in about fifteen days. I blame the reader format. Chapters and verses are not at all emphasized. It's in a single column format. But I don't blame only the reader format. The Word of God is just TASTY. I'm a glutton for the Word of God. I devour and savor it. Sometimes I devour more than savor. This was one of those times. Sometimes I savor more than devour. But as I said I almost couldn't help myself.

I don't love, love, love the New English Bible. I really enjoy the Old Testament--especially the book of Psalms. (Though still the KJV is my favorite and best). I do enjoy the gospels--for the most part. But when it comes to the epistles--the letters--especially the letters of Paul--I do not enjoy the NEB translation. I find that any book that centers around doctrine--theological ideas--is lacking. The word choices of the NEB just lack the solid-ness of other translations.

Quotes:

  • But thou, LORD, art a shield to cover me: thou art my glory and thou dost raise my head high. I cry aloud to the LORD and he answers me from his holy mountain. I lie down and sleep, and I wake again, for the LORD upholds me. Psalm 3:3-5
  • Thine is the victory, O LORD, and may thy blessing rest upon thy people. Psalm 3:8
  • Know that the LORD has shown me his marvellous love; the LORD hears when I call to him. Psalm 4:3
  • Now I will lie down in peace, and sleep; for thou alone, O LORD, makes me live unafraid. Ps. 4:8
  • For thou, O LORD, wilt bless the righteous; thou wilt hedge him round with favour as with a shield. Psalm 5:12
  • Be merciful to me, O LORD, for I am weak; heal me, my very bones are shaken. Psalm 6:2
  • God, the High God, is my shield who saves men of honest heart. Psalm 7:10
  • O LORD our sovereign, how glorious is thy name in all the earth! Thy majesty is praised high as the heavens. Psalm 8:1
  • I will praise thee, O LORD, with all my heart; I will tell the story of they marvellous acts. I will rejoice and exult in thee. Psalm 9:1-2a
  • The words of the LORD are pure words: silver refined in a crucible, gold seven times purified. Psalm 12:6
  • But for my part I trust in thy true love. My heart shall rejoice, for thou hast set me free. Psalm 13:5
  • Thou, LORD, my allotted portion, thou my cup, thou dost enlarge my boundaries: the lines fall for me in pleasant places, indeed I am well content with my inheritance. I will bless the LORD who has given me counsel: in the night-time wisdom comes to me in my inward parts. I have set the LORD continually before me: with him at my right hand I cannot be shaken. Psalm 16:5-8
  • Thou wilt show me the path of life; in thy presence is the fullness of joy, in thy right hand pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11
  • I love thee, O LORD my strength. The LORD is my stronghold, my fortress and my champion, my God, my rock where I find safety; my shield, my mountain refuge, my strong tower. Psalm 18:1-2
  • The way of God is perfect, the LORD's word has stood the test; he is the shield of all who take refuge in him. Psalm 18:30
  • Thou hast given me the shield of they salvation, thy hand sustains me, thy providence makes me great. Psalm 18:35
  • The LORD lives, blessed is my rock, high above all is God who saves me. Psalm 18:46
  • The heavens tell out the glory of God, the vault of heaven reveals his handiwork. Psalm 19:1
  • The LORD is my shepherd; I shall want nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, and leads me besides the waters of peace; he renews life within me, and for his name's sake guides me in the right path. Even though I walk through a valley dark as death I fear no evil, for thou art with me, thy staff and thy crook are my comfort. Thou spreads a table for me in the sight of my enemies; thou hast richly bathed my head with oil, and my cup runs over. Goodness and love unfailing, these will follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD my whole life long. Psalm 23:1-6
  • Make thy paths known to me, O LORD; teach me thy ways. Lead me in thy truth and teach me; thou art God my Saviour. For thee I have waited all the day long, for the coming of thy goodness, LORD. Remember, LORD, thy tender care and thy love unfailing, shown from ages past. Do not remember the sins and offences of my youth, but remember me in thy unfailing love. Psalm 25:4-7
  • The LORD confides his purposes to those who fear him, and his covenant is theirs to know. Psalm 25:14
  • The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the refuge of my life; of whom then should I go in dread? Psalm 27:1
  • One thing I ask of the LORD, one thing I seek: that I may be constant in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. Psalm 27:4
  • 'Come,' my heart has said, 'seek his face.' I will seek thy face, O LORD; do not hide it from me, nor in thy anger turn away thy servant, whose help thou hast been; do not cast me off or forsake me, O God my saviour. Psalm 27:8-9
  • Wait for the LORD; be strong, take courage, and wait for the LORD. Psalm 27:14
  • O LORD my God, I cried to thee and thou didst heal me. Psalm 30:1
  • 'Hear, O LORD, and be gracious to me; LORD, be my helper.' Thou hast turned my laments into dancing; thou hast stripped off my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my spirit may sing psalms to thee and never cease. I will confess thee for ever, O LORD my God. Psalm 30:10-12
  • Blessed be the LORD, who worked a miracle of unfailing love for me when I was in sore straits. Psalm 31:21
  • Happy the man whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put away! Happy is a man when the LORD lays no guilt to his account, and in his spirit there is no deceit. Psalm 32:1-2
  • I will teach you, and guide you in the way you should go. I will keep you under my eye. Psalm 32:8
  • The word of the LORD holds true, and all his works endures. Psalm 33:4
  • I will bless the LORD continually; his praise shall be always on my lips. In the LORD I will glory; the humble shall hear and be glad. O glorify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together. I sought the LORD's help and he answered me; he set me free from all my terrors. Psalm 34:1-4
  • Taste, then, and see that the LORD is good. Happy the man who finds refuge in him. Psalm 34:8
  • How blest are those who know their need of God; the kingdom of heaven is theirs. How blest are the sorrowful; they shall find consolation. How blest are those of a gentle spirit; they shall have the earth for their possession. How blest are those who hunger and thirst to see right prevail; they shall be satisfied. How blest are those who show mercy; mercy shall be shown to them. How blest are those whose hearts are pure; they shall see God. How blest are the peacemakers; God shall call them his sons. How blest are those who have suffered persecution for the cause of right; the kingdom of heaven is theirs. Matthew 5:3-10
  • There must be no limit to your goodness, as your heavenly Father's goodness knows no bounds. Matthew 5:48
  • Set your mind on God's kingdom and his justice before everything else, and all the rest will come to you as well. So do not be anxious about tomorrow; tomorrow will look after itself. Each day has troubles enough of its own. Matthew 6:33-34
  • Always treat others as you would like them to treat you: that is the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:12
  • Put all your trust in the LORD and do not rely on your own understanding. Think of him in all your ways, and he will smooth your path. Do not think how wise you are, but fear the LORD and turn from evil. Proverbs 3:5-7
  • God's every promise has stood the test: he is a shield to all who seek refuge with him. Add nothing to his words, or he will expose. you for a liar. Proverbs 30:5-6



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: