Friday, November 9, 2018

Book Review: Jesus Loves Me

Jesus Loves Me (Bible bb's) Scholastic. 2018. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Jesus loves me! This I know, for the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong; They are weak, but He is strong.

Premise/plot: This picture book for young readers is an adaptation of the Christian hymn, "Jesus Loves Me." It does not include all of the verses. It includes the first verse--which most people learned by heart at an early age--and the third verse. It does not include the second or fourth verses. It includes the refrain twice.

The book is part of a new book series from the "Bible bb's" brand. I reviewed the first book in the series, "Away in a Manger" a few days ago.

The illustrations select a few scenes from Jesus' life to highlight including the calling of the disciples, the feeding of the five thousand, the last supper, the burial, the women discovering an empty tomb, etc.

My thoughts: I'll be completely honest. I miss the second and fourth verses of this one. I wish they'd been included too.
Jesus loves me! This I know,
As He loved so long ago,
Taking children on His knee,
Saying, "Let them come to Me."
and
Jesus loves me! He will stay
Close beside me all the way;
Thou hast bled and died for me,
I will henceforth live for Thee.
For better or worse, Jesus is NOT depicted on the cross or in the garden of Gethsemane. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, since I tend to find the illustrations disrespectful and silly it could be a blessing. The Jesus depicted in these illustrations is ridiculously cutesy-cutesy. As in I'm surprised the illustrator restrained himself/herself from adding unicorns into the mix. On the other hand, his death is--without a doubt--absolutely central to the Christian faith. I would have to look over other children's bible story books that I've had to see how the cross is handled. Perhaps this is standard treatment.

The illustrations are obviously supposed to appeal to a young audience.



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: