Wednesday, October 13, 2021

67. A Man With a Past


A Man with a Past (Brothers in Arms #2) Mary Connealy. 2021. [July] 304 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: When a man grows up in wild country, huntin' food, eyes wide open for trouble, he knows when he's being watched.

A Man with a Past is the second book in the Brothers in Arms series by Mary Connealy. The first book is Braced For Love. The opening chapters of both books overlap. I would say the first four or five chapters of A Man With A Past overlap with the first book, just from different perspectives. 

There are alternating narrators in A Man With A Past. The top two being Falcon Hunt and Cheyenne. But also Wyatt and to some extent Molly. (Win and Kevin are very much present in the book. But I don't know that we experience the book through their eyes, their perspectives.) 

Falcon, our hero, has amnesia. He spends a good bit of this one walking around thinking things like, "This is a tree. I remember this is a tree." Or "I know how to sit down and stand up." The amnesia aspect of this one gets old really fast--in my opinion. 

Falcon and Cheyenne (and to some aspect the others on the ranch) spend most of their time trying to track down super bad guys. I wouldn't say the villains are fully actualized or fully developed characters. But the plot seems more substantial. I think more time was spent developing the dangerous mystery plot than the romantic relationship. The relationship felt VERY insta to me. Even more insta than Win and Kevin. It's like he is, "I just met you ten minutes ago and I know you're super angry about the situation, but you know what you're beautiful and I think I want to marry you." And she's like "OKAY. I think I'd like that." Swoon. I do get that they are thrown into a situation where their lives depend on trusting each other and they are days (and nights) on the trail with only each other for company. So maybe that's why it's so insta. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: