Saturday, November 6, 2021

11. RSV Schuyler Quentel with Apocrypha


Schuyler Quentel RSV with Apocrypha. God. 2021. Evangelical Bible. 1700 pages. [Source: Gift]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

I began reading the RSV Schuyler on October 1, 2021 using the Shred 30 Day Bible reading plan. It was my first time to use this plan. Because this edition of the RSV Schuyler has the apocrypha (it was available with or without), it took me an additional week to complete. It was also my first time reading the apocrypha all the way through. (I had read tiny bits and pieces before, but never entire books, and never all of the books.) 

I chose the dark green goat skin. I wish the ribbon color was not green--or that shade of green. The green of the ribbon and the green of the cover do not remotely go well together. A contrasting shade of ribbon would have been lovely. That being said, I did love the cover! The shade of green grew on me throughout the month. The LOVE of the feel of the cover was instant. From day one, I loved the way this one felt in my hands. I loved the way the Bible opened. It had a just right feel. Not too stiff or awkward. Not too floppy and unwieldy. 

The art gilding edging was red under gold. It grew on me. I didn't ever dislike it, mind you. But I wasn't wow this is the best thing ever either. After daily use, I've gotten used to the many colors. I like it best when it gives a coral vibe.

The font size. I may be alone here, but I wish it was a larger font. 10 point is in the "acceptable" range. But it isn't that magic "just right" range. The NASB Schuyler is 11 point font. And it was JUST RIGHT. 

The layout is lovely. Meaning it is a feast for the eyes. Yet it would have been nice if the font could have still been 11 points! Some people seem to be so thrilled over the drop cap (large capital letter used as a decorative element at the beginning of a paragraph or section) that they will gladly sacrifice that extra point. Me, I'm more practical. It is NOT a deal breaker. I repeat, it is not a deal breaker. 

It is BLACK LETTER. If it had been red letter and 10 point font, that would have been a strong NO for me.

I love, love, love the raised spine ribs. I only have a handful of Bibles with raised spine ribs, but it just adds to the experience of holding it in your hands. And it is just HAPPY making. A very small thing, to be sure, again not a deal breaker. But LOVELY all the same.

I wish it had not broken words down into syllables--particularly proper nouns like place names, people. But I was looking through other RSV Bibles that I have, and this seems to just be how it is. 

I've heard also that there are four typos in this Bible. I read it cover to cover, and none of the typos threw me out of the text and made me cranky. So I wouldn't let that fact alone keep you from getting one. 

I will mention that for those that want to write *some* in their Bibles. There seem to be at least half a dozen or so sturdy, thick pages that are blank and perfect for *some* writing. 

Other features:
Line Matching
28 GSM Paper
Page size: 6.1″ x 9.13″ x ~1.1″ (155 mm x 232 mm x ~29 mm)
3 x 1 cm Green Ribbons
Gold embossing on the Spine.
Smyth Sewn
Cross references
Expanded Edition of The Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books
Glossary concordance
Presentation pages
Extensive Schuyler Bible Maps

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: