Tuesday, November 2, 2021

74. Good News of Great Joy


Good News of Great Joy. John Piper. 2021. [September] 144 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: What does Jesus want this Christmas? We can see the answer in his prayers. What does he ask God for? His longest prayer is John 17. The climax of his desire is in verse 24. [John 17:24]

Good News of Great Joy is an advent devotional by John Piper. Several years ago--2012 or 2013 depending on whether you trust Amazon or GoodReads more--Piper published an advent devotional with the same name. (I reviewed it in 2016). I read this one unsure if it was the *same* devotional or if it was just recycling the name. I am not 100% sure since I cannot find the table of contents of the original book and the link on Piper's website has switched from the old to the new. (That right there might be an indication that it is just recycling the same old book.) But I reread my review and all the quotes I mentioned, all the phrases I talked about....ARE in this devotional. My best guess, my best educated guess, is that most of this--if not all of this--is previously published. Of course, I might be wrong. Maybe he carried over some of his best work--the stuff I happened to quote--and maybe there's new material as well. 

Quotes:

If you don't need a Savior, you don't need Christmas. 



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: