Wednesday, November 10, 2021

12. Holman HCSB Super Giant Print Reference Bible


HCSB Super Giant Print Reference Bible [ISBN: 978-1433615757] God. 1824 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 

So how giant is super giant? 18 POINT typeface. I am NOT a maths person, but I'd guess that that is about twice as large as your average, typical, every day bible. Sadly. The average, typical font is shrinking more every decade. 

I have had this Bible for almost six years and never read it cover to cover. I decided to read through this Bible with a modified (perhaps Super-Modified) Professor Horner plan. Ten bookmarks--ten different sections or groups. I started this project on August 19, 2021. I finished it on November 10, 2021. As I was already on my second--if not third--read through in some books, I decided to finish the Bible the old-fashioned way once I only had two books left--Ezekiel and 2 Chronicles. 

Words of Christ in red. Honestly, if every red-letter Bible was 18 point font, I wouldn't complain nearly so much. It is not difficult on the eyes if the font is blown up to this extreme. 

This Bible is HEAVY and BULKY. What you'd expect from a Bible with 18 point font. That being said, it does lay flat well. And it is the carrying to and fro or back and forth that makes it awkward. Once it's on your lap (or on your table/desk) it's perfectly easy to use. 

The translation is not my favorite. (It isn't my least favorite either.) It just doesn't have a poetic punch. It is lacking a little something. Mom always talks about how some translations just *sing* and this one doesn't.   You mainly notice in the psalms. 

Psalm 23:1-6
The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack.
He lets me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He renews my life;
He leads me along the right paths
for His name’s sake.
Even when I go through the darkest valley,
I fear no danger,
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff—they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
as long as I live.


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: