Wednesday, June 22, 2022

10. New English Bible


New English Bible. God. 1972. Cambridge University. 1407 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning of creation, when God made heaven and earth, the earth was without form and void, with darkness over the face of the abyss, and a mighty wind that swept over the surface of the waters.

Start date: April 30, 2022
End date: June 22, 2022

The New English Bible isn't readily available...new. But it is somewhat, relatively available used. I found my copy at one of my local used bookstore. It is a CAMBRIDGE bible. It is water buffalo calfskin. 

It is a TINY bible. I love the quality of the paper. NO bleed through whatsoever. You just need to be prepared for tiny print to go with the tiny size. 

As for the translation, I do like it. I'm not saying the New English Bible is my absolute favorite translation, it isn't. I am not scholarly enough to read it and give you a list of all the places it differs in its translation process (or philosophy) from more traditional, more well-known translations. Perhaps there are places that do differ and would cause alarm especially if I knew Hebrew or Greek. But I don't know the original languages. And this will always be a translation that I refer back to when I'm taking a break from my regular, more mainstream translations. (For example, I JUST finished the King James Version of the Bible. And sometimes it's just refreshing to go from something like the KJV to something like the New English Bible. 

 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: