Sunday, December 10, 2023

86. The Legend of the Candy Cane


The Legend of the Candy Cane. Lori Walburg. Illustrated by James Bernardin. 1997. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: One dreary evening in the depths of November a stranger rode into town. He stopped his horse in front of a lonely storefront. The windows were boarded shut and the door was locked fast. But the man looked at it, smiled, and said, "It will do."

Premise/plot: This is a picture book "origin" story for the popular Christmas treat, the candy cane. Children learn from a candy maker (candy shop owner) the spiritual significance and symbolism used in the candy cane.

My thoughts: I liked this one well enough. I do love candy canes (though it is an extremely rare treat these days). I have heard most of these before though that might just be because I read this twenty-five years ago. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: