Friday, June 28, 2024

14. Berean Standard Bible (BSB)


Berean Standard Bible, Holy Bible, (BSB) God. 2022. 1504 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

The Berean Standard Bible (originally published as the Berean Study Bible) has become one of my favorite translations. Definitely top five or six material. This, I believe, is the second printing of the BSB. Mine came with some defects, but, the first printing did not. I do not hold it against the translation itself. One of the sheets of paper was NOT attached in anyway. 

From their website, "The Berean Standard Bible is a completely new translation based on the best available manuscripts and sources. Each word is connected back to the Greek or Hebrew text, resulting in a transparent and honest text that can be studied for its root meanings. The Berean Study Bible text is the result of a careful translation and styling process to maintain core meanings and produce an English text of high literary quality, effective for public reading, study, memorization, and evangelism. We believe that the Scriptures are meant to be studied and shared freely. Just as Paul encouraged the churches to pass on his letters, we are developing digital resources that will be free to access and free to share in websites, apps and software."

I do absolutely love, love, love, LOVE, love this translation. It feels like coming home. It feels familiar, right.  Of course, many translations feel familiar. But that is often the result of months even years. It is hard to explain. 

It is black letter, double column, nice layout.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd; 
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
for the sake of His name.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

I bought a second copy of the BSB so I could mark in it. I felt the paper was *good* enough that it would work. It is. I definitely slowed down as I read this one. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: