Friday, June 28, 2024

36. For a Lifetime


For a Lifetime (Timeless #3) Gabrielle Meyer. 2024. 400 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: It was a strange reality to be on the precipice of tragedy and not be able to stop it. Stranger, still, to live two simultaneous lives and know that one day I would have to choose one and leave the other forever. But this had been my existence since birth. A gift, my mama had called it, though I am certain she only said that to placate the fears of a child. A child born with the mark of a time-crosser.

Grace and Hope--our two heroines--are time-crossing twins. They live their double lives in 1692 Salem, Massachusetts, and 1912 New York City. Normally time-crossers have difficulty choosing between their two (or even three lives), but not in this case. Who would want to stay in 1692 during the Salem Witch Trials? Also knowing from your other timeline in history class about the Salem Witch Trials long before they started. Their upbringing is also radically different. Again, no contest, right? But it wouldn't be much of a book if there were no twists and turns and surprises. Life doesn't go as intended for either Grace or Hope. 

This is the third in the series. I mildly disliked the first, really enjoyed the second, and found the third difficult to get through. Just like Grace and Hope I really didn't have any desire to stay in the 1692 timeline. I also disliked having TWO narrators. I realize that the whole point of this one was revisiting the same old premise but with the TWINS feature. It does complicate things certainly, because you feel an extra special connection with your twin and don't want to choose a different timeline than your sister. 
But I found the characterization a little lacking. 

The fourth book is coming later in the year. If I go with my pattern, I'll probably really enjoy that one. It is so odd to have such vastly different reactions to books in a series. 



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: