Tuesday, June 4, 2024

12. The One Year Bible for Women, KJV


The One Year Bible for Women, KJV. God. 2023. Tyndale. 1136 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

To clarify the five stars is because it is the Bible--the very Word of God--and it is also the King James Version which is one of my favorite translations of the Bible. 

What you should know:

1) It is a DAILY Bible. It has OT selection, NT selection, a Psalm, a [tiny bit of] Proverbs. It does take readers through the book of Psalms twice. However just one read through of Proverbs. As you can imagine it chops up Proverbs into ridiculously small sections to make it last 365 days. 
2) It is two column, black letter. 
3) It is "for women." Why??? Nobody knows. Not really. I suppose because the 100 word devotions that accompany each of the readings was written by a woman. 
4) It is paperback. I am not sure if it's available in other bindings--hardcover, fake leather, leather, etc. But many daily bibles are just available in paperback.
5) It is the King James translation. I believe this is one of many translations available for the "One Year Bible for Women" line of Bibles. 
6) It is the King James Version. It is verse by verse--like many KJV--and it does NOT have "self-pronouncing" text [aka syllables broken down. 
7) The "attractive layout" is listed as one of the main benefits of this one on the back of the Bible. I do like the green border on the pages. It provides a color frame for seeing Scripture. 

I found this one at a thrift shop--still in plastic--for two or three dollars. It was definitely worth that price. Is it worth the list price???? It depends on YOU the potential reader. There are better ways to get the King James Version in my opinion.

I am not necessarily a fan of daily Bibles. I think I could be if there was a way to adapt them. I am contemplating trying to pair a hymn per day with the reading plan. I think adding something a little more would make it better. I actually love the idea of singing a hymn per day as part of daily devotions. 

My "dream" daily Bible would have you go through the book of Psalms at least six times per year. [No, I'd actually really LOVE to see it twelve times per year. But I know the book of common prayer offers two ways to read the Psalms--a one month schedule and a two month schedule.] Proverbs definitely needs a LOT of help in this reading plan. There's no reason why you couldn't read one Proverb a day OR at the very least four or five whole Proverbs for a seven day period. To divide a book with thirty-one chapters into 365 readings is silly. I also wish that the reading plan didn't break up readings in the middle of chapters. Rarely does that make sense for reading meaning into the text. Occasionally it does. Sometimes there are natural stops in the middle of a chapter. But these are rarely why the reading plan stops when it stops. I think human beings should have more to do with the creating of reading plans and less math. 


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: