Wednesday, August 7, 2024

17. Life Application Bible for Students (Living)


17. Life Application Bible for Students. (Living Translation). 1992. God. 1326 pages. [Source: Bought] [5/5 stars]

First sentence: When God began creating the heavens and the earth, the earth was a shapeless, chaotic mass, with the Spirit of God brooding over the dark vapors.

Start date: June 4, 2024
End date: August 7, 2024

The Living translation was the PARAPHRASE I used when I first came to faith as a child. It was the first Bible that I read through cover to cover. Did it hold up decades later...for me? I'm not sure it did. I'll clarify. I do think it serves or at the very least served a purpose. But for me, I have so many other translations that I prefer that it makes less sense for me to come back to the Living Bible for my daily bible reading. 

When it was first released in 1971, it would have been extremely refreshing, useful, and practical to read the Bible in a more accessible translation [paraphrase.] When it was first released, it would have been competing with the King James Version, the Good News Bible (1966), Revised Standard Version (1952), Amplified Bible (1965), New English Bible (1970), New American Standard Bible (1971). Perhaps with the exception of the Good News Bible, the Bible was more formal than not. This seemed to be "the" translation to hand to new believers, to "the youth" coming to Christ. The focus seems to be making the Bible WIDELY understood--removing many/most barriers to comprehension. All translations have some commentary creep in here and there. I think this is more the case in paraphrase than translations. It seems to focus on one meaning instead of layers of meaning that require further food for thought. 

Though Life Application is part of the name, it's very different to the LIFE APPLICATION series of Bibles you are likely familiar with. This does not have study notes necessarily. Or application notes if you want to be nitpicky. It has character profiles. It has "stories" from teens. It has book introductions. But instead of notes, it has STUDY QUESTIONS at the end of each book. Instead of study notes, it asks readers to ANSWER the questions for themselves. These questions are genuinely thought provoking and serious. These are not silly, light-hearted questions. 

When this one released, I do not believe there were any "children" translations available. So I do think the Living served a major purpose for helping new believers of all ages--but particularly those on the younger side--come to know more. Now that there are MANY translations--some for children, some for adults--that are more accessible with the added benefit of being genuine translations instead of paraphrase, the Living is not as necessary or needed. There are most likely better options available for those new to the faith. 

This one is two column, black letter. 




© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: