Monday, August 5, 2024

39. Advent for Exiles


Advent for Exiles: 25 Devotions to Awaken Gospel Hope in Every Heart. Caroline Cobb. 2024. [September 2024] 240 pages. [Source: Review copy] [4 out of 5 Stars]

First sentence: The Old Testament tells the story of two tragic exiles. 

Devotional books are not my first go-to, usually. However, I wanted to read this one because I love, love, love, love, LOVE Caroline Cobb's music. One of the things I love most about her music is that it is saturated in Scripture. Every song, every verse and chorus--all can be drawn back to Scripture. There is something edifying about listening to her music. I think she is under-appreciated. Just my opinion. But if you haven't given her music a try, do so. 

There is a playlist that goes with this advent devotional. I HIGHLY recommend it. In fact, I'm not sure the devotional would be as impactful as it is without listening to the music. The music should not be seen as "an extra" but as the main attraction. Again, just my opinion. The playlist is on Spotify. 

The devotional is written "for those who have felt--or at least feel ready to acknowledge--the long groan of exile."

Caroline Cobb has used seven essential threads to weave together this advent devotional. The seven essential threads are: the season of Advent, the book of Isaiah, the theme of exile, biblical imagery and metaphor, music and lyrics, narrative storytelling, and responsive exercises. 

There are eight "parts" to this advent devotional: 
  • The First Exile
  • In the Darkness of Exile, a Sunrise
  • In the Wilderness of Exile, a Seed and a Highway
  • For the Lost Sheep in Exile, a Shepherd-King
  • In the Silence of Exile, God Speaks
  • In the Ashes and Ruin of Exile, a New Home for God
  • In our Present Exile, a Future Hope
  • Emmanuel
Readers do get to explore the big picture of Scripture which isn't always the case with advent devotional books.

I personally did not always "enjoy" the responsive suggestions. The suggestions--to me, again this is subjective--seemed unlikely activities for me to actually do. However, perhaps for others it's a better fit. Not every devotional reading has a physical activity to do. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: