Friday, August 30, 2024

41. Psalms in 30 Days

Psalms in 30 Days: A Prayer Guide through the Psalter. Trevin K. Wax. 2020. 353 pages. [Source: Bought] [5 stars] 

First sentence: For generations, Christians have prayed and sung the psalms. It was the prayer book of Jesus. It is the Old Testament book most often quoted in the New. The songs found in this book form the bedrock of both corporate worship and individual devotion.

Psalms in 30 Days is a PSALTER using the Christian Standard Bible as its basis. This one is not the Book of Common Prayer. But it is similarly inspired. It is too similar to be a coincidence in my opinion. That is neither good nor bad. It is also somewhat similar to BE THOU MY VISION and its follow up books. 

Readers get a liturgical prayer book to follow for morning, noon, and evening for thirty days. This takes the Book of Common Prayer one step further. Since most Books of Common Prayer only have morning and evening liturgies. The 1979 has a midday prayer liturgy, however, the psalms remain the same for each day of the month. 

This one does not stick exclusively to the Book of Common Prayer's confessions and canticles, if you will. It does expand beyond that for quotes and songs. 

Morning prayers include 
Call to prayer
Confession of faith
Canticle
Psalms
Gloria
The Lord's Prayer
Intercessions and personal requests
Prayer of the church (quotes)
Blessing

Midday prayers include
Call to prayer
Psalms
Gloria
Lord's Prayer
Blessing

Evening prayers include
Call to prayer
Confession of sin
Canticle
Psalms
Gloria
Lord's Prayer
Intercession and personal requests
Prayer of the church
Blessing

I followed the Book of Common Prayer for about two years. I've read through Be Thou My Vision two or three times. I've done this book once. I will say that while I do appreciate the liturgy and devotional practice it encourages, I am not that big a fan of the CSB. I think if this book utilized a translation of the Bible that I appreciated more, I would in turn like this book more. That being said, I have nothing against the CSB in general or people who use it as their primary translation. I do think that this book could be a great fit for others. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: