Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Book Review: T is for Tree


T is for Tree. Connie L. Meyer. 2018. Reformed Free Publishing Association. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence:
A is for Ants.
Though weak and small in size,
They gather food all summer.
May God make us as wise.
"There be four things which are little upon the earth, but they are exceeding wise: the ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their mean in the summer." Proverbs 30:24-25
Premise/plot: T is for Tree is a Bible ABC book for parents to share with little ones. It is an ABC book: A is for Ant; B is for Bow; C is for Clouds; D is for Dawn; E is for Ear. But it is primarily a Bible ABC book. There's a rhyme for each letter, and a verse for each letter.
D is for DAWN
When morning lights the skies.
Our Savior is the day star
Who in our hearts will rise.
"We also have a more sure word of prophecy: whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts." 2 Peter 1:19
The verses cover a wide range of Scriptures.

My thoughts: What impressed me most about this ABC book were the illustrations. I thought they were beautiful. I didn't love, love, love each picture equally. Some I loved more than others. But overall, I was impressed with the quality of the illustrations.

As for the writing, I definitely liked it. I really loved some of the rhymes. One of my favorites--in addition to D which I have already shared--is P.
P is for Paths.
On paths that we must take,
We pray for God to lead us
In truth for his name's sake.
"Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation." Psalm 25:4-5
Like all alphabet books, some letters are going to be trickier than others. But the book was well written.

I believe the verses used within the picture book are taken from the King James Version.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: