Monday, May 14, 2018

Book Review: How Sweet the Sound: The Story of Amazing Grace

How Sweet the Sound: the Story of Amazing Grace. Carole Boston Weatherford. Illustrated by Frank Morrison. 2018. Simon & Schuster. 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence:
Slave ship Greyhound, ocean faring;
Young John, homeward, brawling, swearing.
Fierce storm, sea squall, ripping sails;
Young John wakes to crewmen's wails. 
Premise/plot: How Sweet the Sound is a picture book biography of John Newton, specifically it focuses on Newton's writing of Amazing Grace and his campaign to end slavery. The last few pages--spreads--focus on the legacy of the hymn.
Choirs make the song their own.
Newton's timeless hymn has grown.
Verses added here and there
Till this song is like a prayer. 
It is written in verse.  The verse, I admit, may take some getting used to for some readers. But once the rhythm catches you, it is quite catchy and instead of a weakness, it becomes a strength.

My thoughts: I loved this one. One of my favorite things about it is the verse--the rhythm of it. If you'd asked me before I read it what I wanted, what I expected, it would not have been verse. It would have been prose. Of course, prose would be the best way to frame the narrative, right? I was so wrong.

The story is worth telling--sharing.

I didn't love, love, love the illustrations as much as I loved the text. But they're good: strong and intense. They convey a LOT of emotion.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: