Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Book Review: Sleep Sound in Jesus

Sleep Sound in Jesus: Gentle Lullabies for Little Ones and Inspirational Devotions for Parents. Michael Card. Illustrated by Catherine McLaughlin. 1989. Harvest House. 36 pages.

First sentence: To be "in Jesus," to be found in Him, whether we are waking or sleeping is what the Christian life is all about.

Premise/plot: Sleep Sound In Jesus is a picture book companion to an album by singer/songwriter Michael Card. Sleep Sound in Jesus is an album with fifteen lullabies. (He sings on some of the songs.  There's also a woman singing.) Sleep Sound in Jesus is also a picture book with SIXTEEN lullabies--POEMS, if you will--and fifteen devotions.

The lullabies:
Sleep Sound In Jesus
He'll Wipe Away Your Tears
Even the Darkness Is Light To Him
Sweet Sleep Descends
Dreaming Jacob's Dream
Song of Jesus
Unseen Warriors
Wordless Ones
He Grants Sleep to Those He Loves
Jesus, Let Us Comet to Know You
All You Are
Lullaby for the Unborn
Sleepy Eyes
Hold Me Gently
Barocha
Lullaby for the Innocents

All but Lullaby for the Innocents has an accompanying devotional written by Michael Card. Each song gets a two page spread. On one side, there is an illustrations by Catherine McLaughlin. On the other is the LYRIC/poem AND a short devotional.

My thoughts: I've owned this album for years. I had never really listened to it until I happened upon this picture book at my local charity shop. Because I already owned the album, I decided to buy the picture book.

Theologically it is easy to give this one two thumbs up. Card's work is done well. I've always enjoyed his musical ministry. He's a great songwriter. His songs have theological substance. He's a good singer too. His voice IS the sound of my childhood. It just is. It's easy for me to listen to him sing just about anything.

The illustrations are--and don't hate me--very dated. There should be something timeless about illustrated babies. But more often than not that is not the case in picture books. You can tell at a glance which decade a picture book is from based on the details of the illustration. For example, mom's CRIMPED hair might be an indication that this book has been out quite a while.

Are these my favorite-and-best songs by Michael Card? No. Not really. But the album is pleasant and soothing.

One last thing I want to mention is this: I don't know that we ever really outgrow our need--physical, mental, spiritual--of lullabies. I think lullabies ARE theological. Lullabies don't have to be intentional lullabies written for the very young or the still unborn.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: