Wednesday, September 1, 2021

7. King James Bible 1611


Annotated King James Bible 1611 (In Early Modern English) Historical Series. 4512 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the Heauen and the Earth. And the earth was without forme, and voyd, and darkenesse was vpon the face of the deepe: and the Spirit of God mooued vpon the face of the waters. And God said,  Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good, and God diuided the light from the darkenesse.

I started reading the 1611 King James Bible in March 2021. I took a few months off where I didn't read it at all and then I started up again this summer. I read from Psalms through Revelation in about two months. 

Because it is SO HARD to find a 1611 King James that is actually 1611 and in Early Modern English I will link to the kindle edition. There are thousands of hits that come up when you search for the KJV in kindle edition. It was important to me that it retain the original spelling. 

The kindle edition is verse by verse. It was easy to navigate. However I chose to read it straight through Genesis to Revelation. 

I mentioned that I wanted the original spelling. I don't know exactly what it is about reading the original spelling that engages and delights me. You might think it would be super difficult or tricky, but your mind can get the hang of it fairly quickly. And the spelling even starts to make some sense if you sound it out in your head. I imagine someone with a drawl. 

Quotes:

Psalm 34:3 O magnifie the Lord with me, and let vs exalt his name together. 34:4 I sought the Lord, and hee heard me; and deliuered mee from all my feares.

Psalm 37:4 Delight thy selfe also in the Lord; and he shall giue thee the desires of thine heart. 

Psalm 37:5 Commit thy way vnto the Lord: trust also in him, and he shall bring it to passe.

Isaiah 9:6 For vnto vs a child is borne, vnto vs a Sonne is giuen, and the gouernment shalbe vpon his shoulder: and his name shalbe called, Wonderfull, Counseller, The mightie God, The euerlasting Father, The Prince of peace. 

Isaiah 9:7 Of the increase of his gouernment and peace there shall be no end, vpon the throne of Dauid & vpon his kingdome, to order it, and to stablish it with iudgement and with iustice, from henceforth euen for euer: the zeale of the Lord of hostes will performe this.

Isaiah 40:11 He shall feede his flocke like a shepheard: he shall gather the lambes with his arme; and carie them in his bosome, and shall gently lead those that are with yoong.

John 3:16 For God so loued ye world, that he gaue his only begotten Sonne: that whosoeuer beleeueth in him, should not perish, but haue euerlasting life. 

John 3:17 For God sent not his Sonne into the world to condemne the world: but that the world through him might be saued.

Romans 12:15 Reioyce with them that doe reioice, and weepe with them that weepe.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: