Sunday, September 26, 2021

62. The Heritage of Anglican Theology


The Heritage of Anglican Theology by J.I. Packer. 2021. 384 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence of the foreword: The origins of this book are to be found in a course on Anglican history and theology that J. I. Packer taught at Regent College in Vancouver over a number of years.

First sentence: Our purpose in this book is to study and appreciate Anglican theology—to take the measure of it, that is, as theology, not as anything else.

I love, love, love J.I. Packer. I do. He was one of my first theologians to read. Going into this I knew relatively little about Anglican theology. Relatively. My knowledge was limited primarily to the Tudor period and later the Puritans. With little bits of shallow-ish knowledge from other time periods in history. This book covers a LOT. I was worried that it would be exceedingly dry, completely uninteresting, without a spark of personality. I was wrong. 

Granted, this book won't appeal to every reader. I know that. You know that. But for those who have an interest either in church history in general OR the history and legacy of the Anglican church (aka Church of England) OR a love for all things Packer, this one does a great job at delivering just what it promises. What you see is exactly what you get. Packer gives us a history and overview of the Anglican church past and present. Packer highlights not only key events but also key people and key ideas. He does a good job of tracing the history through the centuries--linking everything together. 

He does a good job of pointing out that there isn't just "one" stream of Anglicanism. There are three main streams--or branches--of Anglicanism. (And there have been for centuries.) The three are: Protestant Reformed, Anglo-Catholic (or High Church), Broad Church (or Liberal or Radical or Modern). 

I love the blend of theology and doctrine, history, biography, and to some degree church politics. 

Again this one won't appeal to everyone, but to those special few that have an interest, it will be appreciated and loved. 


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: