Tuesday, June 7, 2022

8. NKJV, Single Column


NKJV Single-Column Reference Bible, Premium Goatskin Leather, Premier Collection. 2018. 2144 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. Genesis 1:1-4

I bought this Bible this spring. I had been considering my options buying a New King James Bible for six months or so. I had definite things I was looking for. I wanted at least ten point font. (This was 10.5). I wanted black letter and not red letter. (This is black letter). I wanted limited ghosting or bleed through. (This has 36 gsm paper AND line-matching.) This one was a frontrunner for me to consider. (I was also considering another in the Premier Collection line that was double column). I am SO happy that I chose this one. I love the dimensions of this one. I have finally found 'the one' in the New King James translation.

I used this Bible for the Daily Offices in the Book of Common Prayer. Though to be fair, I do the Daily Offices my own way. I don't follow their calendar of readings--which span a year. Each day has me reading from Psalms and Proverbs, the Old Testament, and the New Testament. Some days I'd read a little more, some days a little less--in terms of number of chapters per day. My start date was April 20, 2022. My end date was June 7, 2022. 

I do like the New King James. In the past I've never really considered it to be in my top three. But that could be in part, because I've struggled for years to find a physical NKJV that had a) large enough font b) was black letter c) that had little to no ghosting d) that didn't have words broken into syllables. So perhaps I'll read more in this translation going forward. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: