Sunday, January 8, 2023

Sunday Salon #2


And so it begins...

Current Bible plans and projects:

BSB Audio Bible. Psalms 85-119. I try to listen to twenty or so minutes per day. To clarify, the audio bible is not in place of reading the actual-printed word. (No judgment if that is how you are fed the Word of God. Seriously.). I was just looking for something to listen to that would be edifying (reinforcing) while I do work on computer. I'm balancing listening to the BSB audio and listening to Spotify. I really fell hard for TobyMac's Life After Death album this past week. I am hoping if I have a plan to fill the void with substance instead of [just] junk, then it'll be a blessing. 

ESV Church History Bible. I am using the ESV Church History Bible as my main Bible for the Daily Offices of the Book of Common Prayer. This has presented some challenges--but mainly in a good way. The notes are SO amazing and fabulous that I'm not remotely tempted to skim them. I am therefore taking longer with my morning and evening devotions. (In 2022 and 2021 I only used text-only Bibles for the Book of Common Prayer). So my schedule isn't used to this lengthened time in the Word. But I am loving it so much, I don't mind being "behind schedule" for a bit. This week I read Psalms 1-37, Proverbs 1-7, Exodus 1-40, Leviticus 1-2, Luke 15-24, Acts 1-9

ESV Large Print Reference Bible. I am (currently) reading this one alongside the Be Thou My Vision devotional. I'm not sure this will always be the case. I'll finish the ESV Large Print in the next month--or six weeks. Then I'll begin another Bible to use with Be Thou My Vision. This week I've read Mark 1-16, Jeremiah 1-52, Lamentations 1-5; Ezekiel 1-13, Luke 1-3. 

BSB M'Cheyne. Okay, so it's a text-only BSB [Berean Standard Bible] that I'm using to read the Daily M'Cheyne plan. Be Thou My Vision recommends the M'Cheyne plan. [Plenty of folks do]. I'm using the YouVersion Bible app to keep me on track. Plus, I like having an ongoing plan on YouVersion so my streak continues. This week I read Genesis 1-7, Matthew 1-7, Ezra 1-7, Acts 1-7

Growing 4 Life, January, Mark 1-4. I have lost track of how many years I've participated in this Facebook group. I know I've been participating since 2020 at least. Anyway, it's now become habit to read portions of Scripture for thirty days in a row. This month--January 2023--is Mark 1-4. So far I've read it seven times: in the BSB, ESV, NASB 95, ESV, NASB 95, NKJV, and KJV. (Read 12/31 through 1/6). 

Current plans for other books:

On Friday, I finished Epic Story of the Bible by Greg Gilbert. (My first review of the year! Hoping it's the first of many).  I've been reading The Sisters of Sea View by Julie Klassen. I am LOVING Sisters of Sea View so far. It is set in 1819--I love the Regency time period. 

Questions: 

One change that I am absolutely loving is that I'm now reading my Evening Office earlier in the day (after 4PM but before 8PM). I was reading this one around 9PM. The change in day is HUGE in terms of my alertness and concentration. I feel I am getting much more out of the reading than I was before. 

Have you made any changes this year that you are loving? 

What is your favorite time of day to read the Word of God?

If you read historical fiction, do you have a favorite time period?


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: