Monday, January 30, 2023

10. Another Gospel?


Another Gospel? A Lifelong Christian Seeks Truth In Response to Progressive Christianity. Alisa Childers. 2020. [October] 288 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: The curve of the rocking chair arm dug into my hip as I held my restless toddler, singing a hymn into the darkness--darkness so thick it felt as if it were made of physical matter, choking the cries right out of my throat as I prayed to a God I wasn't sure was even there. "God, I know you're real," I whispered. "Please let me feel your presence. Please."

Premise/plot: Alisa Childers writes of her experiences with progressive Christianity. She was encouraged to "deconstruct" by her pastor. There was a class and everything. But she held onto her faith even if she couldn't put into words why. His false teachings encouraged her to do anything and everything to 'prove' the WHY of her faith. She began digging deep, using all the resources, reading theology, studying church history. This battle with the false strengthened her faith and emboldened her message. She's been sounding off warning messages against progressive Christianity and deconstructing ever since. In this one she is showing readers that the "God" the "Jesus" of progressive Christianity is NOT the God of the Bible. That they are in fact preaching another Jesus, another gospel. 

My thoughts: I first became familiar with the author through a documentary I was watching a couple years ago. I then began watching her YouTube videos on her channel. I've not watched every one, certainly, but I've watched quite a handful. If you have seen every single video, then there isn't much new here in the book. Her testimony is good--something I believe the Holy Spirit can use--but it isn't exclusive to this book. She tells her story in several places.

I definitely enjoyed reading her story. I liked following her journey. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: