Sunday, January 15, 2023

Sunday Salon #3


Current Bible plans and projects:

BSB Audio Bible. Psalm 120-150. Ruth 1-4. I don't know why I'm listing this one first. It's not my top priority. This is a side-project for me. I mentioned last week that my goal is to try to be more balanced in how I spend my computer work time. If I can have something like an audio bible, a sermon, praise music on in the background instead of more junky-junk, then maybe it will be more of a blessing and less a waste of time/distraction. Psalms was an automatic first choice for me, a way to 'dip my toes' if you will. Ruth I chose because it was short and sweet. (There is something LOVELY and sweet about the book of Ruth.) What book should I tackle next????

ESV Church History Bible. Psalms 38-74. Proverbs 8-14. Leviticus 3-27. Numbers 1-36. Acts 10-28. Romans 1-13. I am using the ESV Church History Bible as my main Bible for the Daily Offices of the Book of Common Prayer. I cannot begin to tell you how much I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one. This study Bible is so incredibly wonderful. True, in a perfectly perfect world, the study notes would not be in a light gray color and they'd be slightly bigger. But every squint is worth it. I have also started noticing authors. There are authors and books now that I'm eager to add to my wishlist. There are some authors/books on my wishlist already that I am all the more ready to read now, now, now. 

ESV Large Print Reference Bible. I am (currently) reading this one alongside the Be Thou My Vision devotional. This week, I read Ezekiel 14-48. Hosea 1-14. Joel 1-3. Amos 1-9. Obadiah 1. Jonah 1-4. Micah 1-7. Nahum 1-3. Luke 4-24. 

BSB M'Cheyne. Using the BSB in the YouVersion app. This week I read Genesis 8-15. Matthew 8-15. Ezra 8-10. Nehemiah 1-4. Acts 8-15. Justin Peters on his YouTube channel is reading aloud the Bible using the M'Cheyne plan. I've been listening to him on the side. He is using the LSB translation, I believe. I am using the BSB. I think daily exposure to these chapters twice--in two different translations--is giving me food for thought. I think I am getting more out of the reading by listening and more out of listening by reading. 

Growing 4 Life, January, Mark 1-4. I have lost track of how many years I've participated in this Facebook group. I know I've been participating since 2020 at least. Anyway, it's now become habit to read portions of Scripture for thirty days in a row. This month--January 2023--is Mark 1-4. I read it eight times this week. NIV 84. NASB 77. NRSV. 1599 Geneva. NKJV. NASB 95. NASB 2020. NIV 1978. Two of these Bibles are new-to-me Bibles that I found thrifting. I do actively seek out in my thrifting the NIV 1984 since it is out of print and increasingly rare. This is the translation I grew up reading. 

Current plans for other books:

I finished and reviewed THREE WHOLE BOOKS this week. (One was a short and quick biography). I am in-between books at the moment. 

Questions:

Do you have a preferred ordering of how to read the books of the Bible?

How do you find new authors to read?

Have you bought any Bibles in 2023? 

Do you have any recommendations for me for christian fiction or christian nonfiction?


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I find new authors to read by following different groups on FB that have similar interests, plus people on Goodreads, and of course, from other bloggers! I bought the Thrive NLT Bible this year and I am reading through it. Have a great week!

AnneKristy said...

I've not purchased new Bibles in 2023. I have 3 new Bibles from late last year that I am enjoying. Ancient Faith Study Bible CSB. Matthew Henry Devotional Bible NKJV. And a NET Bible that I've already passed on to another.
I have followed different Bible reading challenges or reading plans. The current one I'm reading is Chronological Bible Reading Plan. I have been surprised to find out there are different types of Chronological Bible Reading Plans. The one I'm in now, adds 1 Chronicles chapter 1 and 2 to the Genesis readings. Right now, we are reading Job.