Monday, December 22, 2008

Book Review: Give A Goat


Schrock, Jan West. Give A Goat. Illustrated by Aileen Darragh. Published by Tilbury House.

You may be wondering...'How can reading a picture book in one country make a difference to a family in need living thousands of miles away? And what does a goat have to do with it anyway?' Let me introduce you to this gem of a picture book--Give A Goat. It is the story of how you and me--regardless of age--can make a difference in the world.

In a way, Give A Goat is a story about a story. When fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Rowell read aloud a book, Beatrice's Goat, she inspired her class to do something. The story was about the Heifer International organization. They give animals--goats, ducks, water buffalo, etc. to individuals in need. These animals are the gift that keep on giving. They provide for the family long-term. And are the first step to creating better lives. She didn't read it aloud with the mindset--I must teach my class how to be compassionate--it was rainy; they were restless. But the results were the same. Inspired to act, they began researching and planning. They wanted to give a goat. They wanted to make a difference.

The book shows their story--how reading inspired and prompted them to act--it gives a behind-the-scenes look at compassion and generosity. Something you don't find in every picture book. I also like the details--how this took planning and teamwork. It shows them following through on a project. It's easy to be 'inspired' but more difficult to stay inspired when it comes down to commiting yourself to something.

I enjoyed this one and I think you will too. Heifer International has a gift catalog you can browse. Consider giving yourself or your loved one a feel-good-gift of giving to someone else. Goats are $120. But flocks of chicks, ducks, and geese are only $20. (There are many other animals as well.)
Blogged with the Flock Browser

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My church has been helping Heiffer International for about 15 years now. It is a great organization.

Judy/Intergalactic Bookworm

B said...

Thanks so much for the review! I'm embarrassed to admit that I just heard about this organization for the first time recently. But their work made quite an impact on me, and I'm glad to know that the word is getting out to more people about it.