Monday, December 29, 2008

Musing Mondays: To Recommend?


How often do you recommend books to others, and who do you recommend them to? Do you only recommend books to your “reading friends” or to anyone you think might find the book interesting? What does it take for a book to make it to your ‘recommendation’ list?

I recommend books all the time. Primarily, I like recommending through my blog(s). But I also am always recommending books to my family, friends, and Sunday School class. I know some people read more than others, but I like talking up books to anyone and everyone. I'm always taking books to 'show-case' to my Sunday School class. Think Reading Rainbow. And whenever I see my friends, I always love to talk about what I've read recently...and to hear what they've read recently!

As to what it takes to get to my recommendation list...I need to feel it is written in an enjoyable and interesting way. If it bores me to tears--if I have no patience at all for it--then I know there aren't many people in my life that would pick it up and persevere through it. But I'd probably still 'recommend' it through my blog in that I'll review it and try to point out some of the good qualities as well as mentioning why it didn't quite work for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it hard to recommend books because many people don't read period. See my answer for more elucidation.

Beth F said...

My answer is very much like yours. I love making recommendations.