Saturday, November 2, 2019

Prepare Him Room #2

While Joy to the World is not my favorite Christmas hymn, there is one line in the lyrics that resonates deeply with me. Let every heart prepare him room...What does that mean for you and me as another holiday season approaches. How can we--as individuals, as a church body--prepare our hearts to receive, to celebrate Christ's coming?

If you prepare your heartyou will stretch out your hands toward himIf iniquity is in your hand, put it far away, and let not injustice dwell in your tents. (Job 11:13-14)

Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name. Psalm 86:11

With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. (Psalm 119:10-11)

I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways. (Psalm 119:15)

Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain! Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways. (Psalm 119:36-37)

How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. Psalm 119:104

Your testimonies are my heritage foreverfor they are the joy of my heart. Psalm 119:111

What do you joy in? What do you take joy in? Do you find joy--pleasure, happiness, contentment--in sin? Or do you find joy--pleasure, happiness, contentment--in Christ? Have you turned away from sin and turned towards Christ? We are called to love the Lord our God with all our hearts. All. If we are holding onto sins--pet sins, my preciousss--then we are not loving God with all. The more we love God, the more we'll hate sin and want to "put it far away." 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: