Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Bible Review: Reading God's Story

Reading God's Story: A Chronological Daily Bible. Arranged by George H. Guthrie. 2011. Holman Bible Publishers. 1440 pages. [Source: Bought]


I read this Bible for the Growing 4 Life Bible Reading Challenge. I started off the project in the King James Bible, text only. A few months into the challenge I decided to switch bibles and translations. I went with this one that has prearranged readings that matched the group’s reading. The translation is the HCSB. I started over in Genesis and spent about two weeks getting caught back up with the group. Once I was back on schedule, I stayed on schedule. Actually that’s only slightly true. I found it worked better for me to read a whole week at a time. (This was not my only bible reading project. It was always a secondary project.)

I like the idea of reading the Bible chronologically. Especially the Old Testament. It makes sense to approach the OT in this way. The New Testament, however, I much prefer to read traditionally.

The print version has super teeny tiny font. I would never praise the font size. Publishers should do better and be more considerate. Unless a Bible has the word compact on it, the font size should not be so tiny!

This one also had a binding that didn’t lay flat. The binding was very tight.

I do like the translation. 

No comments: